Re: Birds - great or small?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Minion

TVWBB Emerald Member
The reason for doing the smaller birds
is because larger birds stay below 140*
internal for longer than 4 hours. Under those conditions you can make folks sick.
No way to spend the holiday.
Brining is as easy as it sounds.
If you are going to do a large bird the brining is a must and use Tender Quick as a cure so you won't have a spoiled bird.
Jim

Hey Bryan:

In my humble opinion you should simply go to the recipes section and try the Apple Brined Smoked Turkey. Can't be beat! Chris Allingham nailed it!!!
biggrin.gif

weber dave

Hmm, I was planning a 25# bird, but Jim's comments worry me.

I was reading Cooks Illustrated, a very reliable recipe source. They promote cooking turkey slow and low. Their method calls for oven cooking a large bird at 325 for the first hour. Then, bring it down to 225 for the remainder.

Jim, do you think cranking my WSM up to 325+ for the first hour would diminish the health concerns?

A couple more questions... Can you brine a bird too long? I was planning on 48 hours for the 25# bird.

And, can you fit two 12-13 pound birds easily on the WSM?, seems like that might be awkward.

Thanks,

Chris.

If you are going to cook a bird that big, brine it for 24-48 hours and make sure you use Tender Quick as part of the brine. Tender Quick (a cure)will slow the growth of bacteria during the time the internal temp
is between 40-140*. Its the toxins left behind when the bacteria dies when the internal temp goes over 140*. The longer you are between those temps the more toxins if no cure is used. Brining also increases the moisture content of the bird so cooking at the higher temps won't dry it out. If you cook at the higher temps and cook 12-15 pound birds the cure won't be needed.
Have a great Thanks Giving
Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back