Stogie's Smoked Chuck Roast & Pot Roast

Doug D

TVWBB Hall of Fame
From Kevin Taylor's archived website:

Smoked Chuck Roast

Chuck is a nice inexpensive cut of beef that rivals a brisket. It makes for a very good BBQ meat. The chuck is comprised of several cuts... most of which are very fatty. The one shown here is called a Chuck Eye Roast and it weighed in at 3 lbs. The butcher will cut one to your size if you choose. Just be sure when choosing your roast, buy one of the fatty cuts.

Very little trimming is needed. I cut off all the fat on the outer perimeter of the meat.

Cooking the chuck requires time and I also believe foiling enhances the outcome. Prepare as you would any BBQ meat...rub the night before, wrap and refrigerate. Fire up the smoker and cook at 240-260° with the wood of your choice. Because these muscles are the most worked part of the steer, this cut is extremely tough and will take forever to break down. The 3 pounder above took 9 1/2 hrs. to cook! So, plan accordingly. I foiled this one after 7 hours and cooked an additional 2 1/2 hrs. at temps around 260°.

I have found through extensive testing that the internal meat temps are meaningless when smoking chuck. So, I have purposely left them out. Just plan on an extra long cooking time...3 hrs./lb.

When you crack open that foil.....what an intoxicating aroma that comes speeding out of that package! It pulled like a well cooked pork butt with most of the fat rendered. You will lose 1/2 of the raw weight due to shrinkage and fat loss.

Pot Roast

Another thing you can do with chuck roast is make a nice pot roast dinner....complete with veggies. The one shown here is made with package mixes and beef broth........

Combine 1 of each of the following dry mixes........Italian Seasoning, Ranch Dressing, Brown Gravy. Sprinkle this on both sides of the meat. I use about 1/2 the mixture and save the rest, but many folks dump the whole amount onto the meat. Then add 1 cup of beef stock or liquid of your choice. Place in the smoker and cook at 240-260°, uncovered for the first 2 hours. Then cover the top and cook another 5-6 hours. Add your veggies with 2 hours to go.

To my tastes, this way of preparing is far superior to a crockpot!

Back