Pulled Pork in crockpot

Wesley S

TVWBB Super Fan
I'm looking for some good recipies for pulled pork to put in a crockpot. Something to throw in the morning and be done when I get home from work.

Most the of the recipes for butt take more than 12 hours and a couple your looking at 15 to 18 hours.
Do a Google search for "crockpot recipes" and there are a bunch.

Or: 1 (5 to 7 pound) butt
rub with your favorite pork or poultry rub
1 1/4 cups of cider vinegar

Cook on low for 12 hours covered. Pull the meat and shread. Take liquids from crockpot and add
1/2 cup katchup, 1/2 cup of BBQ sauce, hot suace to taste. Pour back over shreaded meat in the crockpot and turn to high and reduce liquids.

Not BBQ but it tastes good.
Jim

I'm a big fan of the crockpot, but not necessarily an expert. One thing to keep in mind when cooking a butt in a CP is that the meat is very fatty, This can cause some problems in a CP. You should probably take time to trim as much fat as possible to reduce the amount of fat that accumulates during cooking. Too much fat can cause overcooking.

One thing you might want to consider would be browing the roast before putting in the CP. This will help eliminate fats, also. It might also give the pulled pork more flavor.

Good luck.

Paul

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Paul G.:
[qb] One thing you might want to consider would be browing the roast before putting in the CP. This will help eliminate fats, also. It might also give the pulled pork more flavor.

Good luck.

Paul [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I'm actually going to try this tonight. Do you mean in the oven or skillet for browing?

Wesley

I haven't used the CP for a butt; however I have used it many times for a chuck roast and also venison roast. By "browning" I was referring to browning in a skillet - maybe cast iron. I would dust it with flour and then brown on all sides.

Good luck.

Paul

1 1/2 pounds boned pork shoulder or butt -- fat trimmed
4 ounces green onions -- rinsed, ends trimmed, and coarsely
chopped
2 cloves garlic -- peeled
2 fresh Fresno or other hot green chilies -- rinsed, (I've used Chipotle in Adobo sauce with great success)
stemmed, and seeded
(about 1 oz. total)
2 tablespoons tomato paste
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 teaspoons ground allspice
1 teaspoon ground dried thyme
About 1 teaspoon salt
About 1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/4 cup cider vinegar
8 soft dinner rolls (about 1 oz. each) -- sliced in half
horizontally (8 to 10)

1. Rinse pork and pat dry.

2. In a blender or food processor, whirl green onions, garlic, chilies, tomato
paste, brown sugar, allspice, thyme, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper
until finely chopped. Add vinegar and whirl until smooth. Scrape mixture into a
heavy 5- to 6-quart pan. Add pork and turn to coat completely. Cover and chill
at least 2 hours or up to 1 day.

3. Add 1 cup water to pan, cover, and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat;
reduce heat to very low and simmer pork, turning once, until meat is very tender
when pierced and shreds easily with a fork, 2 to 2 1/2 hours.

4. Remove from heat and let cool about 15 minutes. Transfer meat to a bowl. Skim
and discard fat from surface of cooking liquid. Measure liquid; if there's more
than 1 1/2 cups, boil over high heat until reduced to 1 1/2 cups. With a fork or
your fingers, pull meat into thin shreds; remove and discard fat. Mix meat with
cooking liquid. Add more salt and pepper to taste.

5. Spoon about 1/4 cup pulled pork onto each roll bottom; set tops in place.

This should work great in a crock pot. I've done it in a disposable aluminum pan in WSM with great results.

Went home at lunch and checked on the meat. Getting very tender after 5 hours and had a bit of flavor. Not what I expected but it still has 5 hours to go. Here is the recipe I used.

1 T. vegetable oil

2 onions, finely chopped

6 cloves garlic, minced

1 T. chili powder

1 t. cracked black peppercorns

1 C. tomato-based chili sauce

1/4 C. packed brown sugar

1/4 C. cider vinegar

1 T. Worcestershire sauce

1 t. liquid smoke

1 boneless pork butt, trimmed of excess fat, about 3 pounds

Kaiser or onion buns, halved and warmed

In a skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions; cook until soft. Add garlic, chili powder and peppercorns; cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add chili sauce, brown sugar, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce and liquid smoke. Stir to combine; bring to a boil.

Place pork in slow cooker; pour sauce over pork. Cover and cook on LOW for 10 to 12 hours or on HIGH for 6 hours, until pork is falling apart.

Wesley,
For an easy taste of the islands, here is a Kalua pork crockpot recipe that is extremely simple and my family loves it:

Kalua Pig and Cabbage

2-3 lb pork butt (or pork shoulder as it's labeled here)

3 Tbsp liquid smoke - more if you like stronger flavor (found in a bottle by the bbq and hot sauces, mesquite is more mellow, hickory is stronger) Rub onto meat

3 Tbsp Hawaiian salt - more or less to taste (or Kosher salt if no more Hawaiian kine) Rub onto meat

Water to fill crockpot 1/2 way after pork is inside.

Cook 8-10 hours on high. Remove pork and shred with fork. Place cut up cabbage in broth and cook on high until tender to liking. Put all together and serve.

I have tossed my pulled Kalua Pork leftovers with a Carolina vinegar sauce it tastes pretty good too.

I have done pork tenderloin in the crock pot 1/2 hour on each side on high. After the meat has carmelized I reduce to low and let er rip for about 3 more hours. the meat should be tender and pull-able w/ a fork!

I have done butt in a crock pot and all we added was 1 onion sliced and ~20 cloves. We loved it. Of course this was before I got my WSM.

Mike

Well the first one came out really good. I was impressed with the taste but the misses said it tasted just like pork to her so I put 1/2c ketchup and 1/2c BBQ sauce for flavor. Cooked on high for another hour and that added a really good flavor.

I'm making another today that I rubbed with the BRITU recipe for kicks. I used this for the liquids

2 cups apple cider vinegar
1 cup water
3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
1 1/2 tablespoons liquid smoke

Put the meat on at 6:30 this morning. Will turn at lunch and probably pull it out at 4:00ish.

I can't wait to try one on the kettle. I need to get a thermo first. I keep forgetting everytime I go to Lowes.

Well my 2nd attempt was awful. It was way too much vinegar. I'll go back to the 1/4c recipe if I make again. I may try the BRITU rub with the first liquid.

Well here is a for what it's worth type of reply!
I've done pork roasts and it works very well with just about anykind of beef roast.

Sear the meat in a iron skillet.
Put into crock pot with a cut up onion
and a few cloves of garlic then
poor a twenty ounce bottle of Dr.Pepper in
(do not use sugar free,,tastes awful!)
let it cook all day then take roast out carefully as it will want to fall apart! then poor the liquid into a pan and bring to a boil and add a bit of cornstarch disolved in water. bring back to a boil again while stiring. shred the meat and add some of the liquid back into it. Works well to put back into the crock pot for that! Then enjoy!

I'm intrigued by this thead. I've only used a crock pot a few times and have been dissapointed so I'll try again - I was about to donate it (them - one is a very big one) to a charity shop.

I reckon I've been using to few flavourings and too much liquid.

Is it possible to do Pork Rillettes in a crock pot? I'd love to get a recipe for that.

Sure, you could do rilletes in there. Depending on what version I'm making I'll use salt, bay leaf, thyme, mace, cinnamon, sage, marjoram, basil, nutmeg, clove, and pepper, or just salt, pepper, rosemary, thyme, and bay. Either my approach is to simmer pork loin or and bacon (or just shoulder) in water (with the various spices/herbs) for a several hours letting the water reduce, then pureeing the whole thing or cooking spice/herb-marinated belly in pork fat then water. I read recently of an approach to rilletes made from lightly smoked pork butt that looked appealing. Rub a butt with salt and spices and smoke 15 min. Cool, wrap, chill. The next day braise the butt in chicken or veal stock for 8 hours--this would be perfect for a crockpot--then proceed with whatever rilletes wrap-up you prefer.

I don't really ever cook in a crockpot but they are handy for reheating. The butt you just found, for example, is a good candidate. After it's smoked, rested, and pulled, whatever you don't eat can be frozen then reheated at a later date in a crockpot.

I really like the crockpot and I know I could use it more.

I like it for holding pulled meat, rolled oats (not quick) or other heavy grainy cereals overnight and the Mrs makes some great stews, sometimes with flour dumplings and this neat dish called 'chile wheat' in there (whole wheat grains). She has also done some wonderful roasts and venison in the crock pot.

I'm doing something similar with a pork butt this weekend. I'm away from home in a furnished apartment, somebody ought to tell these guys a smoker is standard equipment
icon_smile.gif
. I'm doing a butt in the oven.

Last night I trimmed it up, sprinkled with hickory smoked salt, gave it a good splashing of liquid hickory smoke then a mustard slather to hold it in. I applied Mr.Brown rub shortly before putting it in the oven.

It's in a disposable foil roaster elevated on crumpled up tinfoil. Been on 11 hours now, I'm going to remove it soon, foil and rest for a while before pulling. Mr.Brown is getting nice and dark and the meat passed the fork test but still feels a little firm.

Mixed up some more of Steve Petrone's vinegar sauce and I can't wait for dinner!

posted November 12, 2003 10:52 AM

I have done butt in a crock pot and all we added was 1 onion sliced and ~20 cloves. We loved it. Of course this was before I got my WSM.

Mike
Mike - and Doug (previous message) - do you cook in the crockpot with no added liquid? Just meat and onions?

The instruction book for mine says to cover the meat with liquid, which I think is what makes it so bland. I'd much rather use a small ampount of liquid and turn the meat a few times - or no liquid at all and let it stew in its own juice.

Any advice appreciated. Incidentally, is there a crock pot site anywhere? It might be as useful as this really excellent WSM site.

Andrew

Not speaking for Mike or Doug, but I use 1/2 cup of liquid in the CP. I think covering the meat with liquid would be too much.

Paul

Originally posted by andrew_l:
Mike - and Doug (previous message) - do you cook in the crockpot with no added liquid? Just meat and onions?

The instruction book for mine says to cover the meat with liquid, which I think is what makes it so bland. I'd much rather use a small ampount of liquid and turn the meat a few times - or no liquid at all and let it stew in its own juice.
Andrew

Andrew~

You can cook without using any liquid in your crockpot, however, I'd have to agree with Paul G. about adding about a 1/2 cup of liquid. It just makes things easier (including cleanup).

As the owner of 4 slow cookers and one "crockette" (used for dips and such) I'd have to say, I LOVE them. They are fantastic for having a nice hot meal ready for you when you get home in the evening. I would have to say that I wouldn't do "psuedo Q" (love that term!) in anything smaller than a 6 quart crock. It's size makes it easier considering the cuts of meats used in Q. I have done potroasts in a 3.5 quart though.

Check out a book called "Fix It and Forget It Cookbook: Feasting with your Slow Cooker". It has tons of recipes compiled from people all over the US. Everything from Appetizers to Desserts and everything in between. There are other cookbooks in that series too. One for "Entertaining". One for "Lightly" low-cal (what is that?) recipes and one for "Diabetic" recipes.

I've fixed baked potatos, spaghetti, and chicken & dumplings in mine. There's even a wire insert so you can bake cakes in there.

I don't know of a site like this one out there for crockpots, but if you Google "slow cooker recipes" you'll find tons out there. Crockpot is a trade-mark of Rival and won't always be used in the recipes.

Good Luck!

Back