Chasing skirts can be expenive...but well worth it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan D

TVWBB Super Fan
I"m posting this in the Weber Charcoal Grills section, as skirts are not something you smoke, you grill 'em, and if anything you need to make sure you don't over cook them.

Skirts steaks are not one of the more popular cuts of meat, and partially because there are only 2 strips per cow. They need to be cleaned, so a good butcher will save you time, but you want some fat left on them.

Another problem is that skirt steaks don't sell very quick, and if not fresh they're not nearly as good...so be careful and look at the meat closely.

The strips are typically about 24" long, and on average weigh about a pound and a half.

The best skirts I can get, with the most reliability is from Whole Foods. Buying meat from Whole Foods can be a painful experience on price, but the quality of the meat is about the best in my area. Whole Foods sell skirts for $10.99/lb, but this cut is my wife's favorite steak, she will take this over a filet, strip, or t-bone, if done correct it is so soft, it's wonderful. These need to be left pink in the center for real flavor, I just coat with rock salt and ground pepper, that's all it needs.

I cut each strip into about 3-4 pieces, cook over direct heat, and be careful not to overcook, because not only will it make the meat like shoe leather, but it will not be the spectacular meal that it could.

This cut is fatty between the grain, with lots of blood in it...you'll see the fat after you put them in the refrigerator, so you must re-heat before serving to get the flavor...

Nowadays, with the popularity of fajitas, you can find skirts in the supermarkets, but I can only find them at the high end butchers in my area reliably.

If you get a chance to score some skirts, don't hesitate to try them, it is the steak of choice in our household.
icon_cool.gif

i totally love skirts. In fact I think I just read (must have been yours) post about them for bbq breakfast and eggs, etc. i've done this twice now w/ egg and bagels, or whatever I have, and I think around my area its underrated big time. you never hear talk of it but it makes exellent steak burritos, fajitas, or just by themselves. I will say im gonna try leaving them more rare because of your post. I've always put them on highest heat i could get until just done, or till they had nice char/color, and love em but i'll try your post. i'm lucky enought my small local market carries them consistantly. thanks for the post.

Dan,

This is without a doubt, one of the best cuts of meat, and one of the most overlooked.

Yes, in my area they also sell this for fajitas, and in most cases they take it and overcook it by stir-frying it way too long, and they can do the same with flank steak...so they do as its' cheaper. Flank steak is nowhere near the quality of cut as a skirt.

They don't take very long over coals, I like to do only a few at a time so I can tend to them well.

My wife and kids like horseradish sauce with it, but I enjoy the flavor of the meat so much that I typically eat it straight from the 'que.

You *must* serve hot also, if they sit for any amount of time the fat starts to form and they become less tasty, IMO.

There is no better breakfast than skirts and eggs, the breakfast of a king...
icon_smile.gif

Def one of my favorite cuts....I like to marinade in
31A8XSQT7ML.jpg
and then on for a quick grill. Then I cut up the meat and use for taco's. YUM!!!

Mark,

I've not seen that out here, but could be that I just haven't looked. I like marinade though, not that skirts need it, the flavor of the meat is to die for.
icon_smile.gif

Speaking of tacos, I'll post another thread, I did some fish tacos tonight, very quick, easy and a great summer dish.

Dead simple, 20 minutes for the coals, 20 minutes to cook, brand 'em and serve.

Skirts do make EXCELLENT tacos though, I'm with you on that, but skirts are just good with anything...with eggs, with horseradish, in fajitas, sandwiches, tacos, quesadillas are one of my kid's favorites, it is one of my favorite cuts of meat, and also my wife and kids.

Agreed, I also eat them like i would a filet or ribeye.

Look for the marinade in the mexican or international food isle. i usually don't marinade over like 4 hours...

AND quit praising the skirt...as the demand goes up so does the price!!!
icon_wink.gif

Love Skirt Steak!! My favorite way to prepare is CHIMICHURRI style. I usually marinade but on this cook I didn't have the time. It was still damn tasty!

EDIT: Sorry guys/gals SO just informed me this cook was flank not skirt. I'll leave the pictures up anyway.

Bryan,

You're kicking a guy when he's down...$2.99/lb, and I bet it's sitting in the chiller with few folks buying it...go figure...there is only one place in my area that I can reliably get quality skirts, at Whole Foods. Funny, the only things I really buy at WF are meat/fish/charcoal, and some veggies/fruit because their organic...I can't afford to do much more of my shopping there, but we have one of these WF mega stores...they had hardwood charcoal stacked up about 10 ft. high in the front of the store today...
icon_eek.gif

I have found in my grasshopper experience, that better quality meat can often produce great meals. Organic pork for instance seems moister for some cuts, like chops. Organic chicken wings we notice a big difference in the quality, size, and flavor...and while the cost is much higher than the supermarket, we mix it up but prefer the higher quality when possible.

So it's not always about getting the most lbs. per dollar, as it is to get quality meat.

In your case, you can get the vac pack, that's good because even though you'll need to trim them up a tad, they will be in pretty good shape when you open them. Fresh would be preferred of course, if at all possible...harder and harder these days...

Larry, you snuck in when I was posting...what's in that green sauce, is that like a pesto or green chili based sauce?

That looks like brisket flat to me, but I was curious what you mean by chimichurri style. I guess I should google...

Is that some type of baba booey sauce you use?

Skirt steak definitely isn't cheap around my parts. I can get quality USDA Choice ribeyes for the same price sometimes.

Sucks, cuz I love skirt steak. It's a different cut, and a different experience.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Alan D:
what's in that green sauce, is that like a pesto or green chili based sauce?
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Alan, chimichurri can be used as a dipping sauce or marinade for meats that are grilled (originated from Argentina). Ingredients include olive oil, parsley, some sort of acid and other spices.

When it comes to making fajitas or tacos, I always go the skirt, flap or flank steaks route. Skirt runs $6.99/lb, flap costs $4.99/lb (thank you Mexican markets) and flank steaks are usually around $7.99/lb around these parts.

Alan, if you're in San Jose, California, go to a Mexican supermarket called Mi Pueblo and give flap meat a try. I can't decide if it taste better than skirt; the lower price is definitely persuading me.

Erik

Alan, I do not believe my chimichurri to be traditional, however it does contain the base ingredients. It's quite good and packed with flavor. Here's a LINK to my recipe. I took the majority of from a Bobby Flay (I think) program.

went to a local market for some tritips ($2.49/lb choice). This place usually has good cuts but i was uninspired by what i saw this time. Saw some very succulent flap meat pieces, $4.99/lb. inspired by this thread, Decided to go with some of that and some flat iron steaks, also 4.99/lb.

Have until 5:30 to decide how to prepare each lol.

Waay back about 25 years ago,skirt steak aka fajitas was mostly known to the Hispanic population around here. It was .89/lb!!! When I would buy them if the checker was Hispanic they would look at me and ask"You know what to do with these"?
Since the rest of the world discovered them they are so overpriced I ahven't cooked any in years.

I had skirt steaks on the menu back in the mid-80s, pre-fajitas craze as well. (Iirc, I marinated in oil, lime, cilantro, garlic and tamarind.) Fajitas being a Texas thing, you saw the spike in skirt prices before I did. The rise was swift once it hit though.

Turned out well. Very tender, no chewiness at all. I like it rare, the missus and her mom like it cooked. So they get the outer bits, I get the thicker ones
icon_biggrin.gif

Marinated in orange juice, soy, a little sugar, some garlic and ginger. They, of course claimed it was a tiny bit bland (we use very bold flavors in Vietnamese cooking, which is what they are used to) while I wanted to taste the beef on this first shot, so I loved the flavor. Very subtle flavors, allowing the beef to shine through> I told them to sprinkle some more soy on it
icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bryan S:
$2.99lb. for em here at BJ's in the cryo-vac pack.
icon_biggrin.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bryan,

I think they were either $1.59 or $1.99 lb in my BJ's today....I didn't write it down !

Geez.....guess I should've bought one
icon_biggrin.gif

Mark....we also LOVE the Goya Mojo, but we've only used it on pork and chicken....will have to try it on beef !

Dean....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back