Dirt Cheap Genesis on ebay.

Joe Osborn

TVWBB Member
http://cgi.ebay.com/WEBER-GRILL-GENESIS-1000-LP-Propane...QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Though it's actualy a Genesis 1 and I don't think you can just change out the hose and regulator without replacing the manifold (Can't quite see the manifold/hose connection very well). And the tank doesn't look like an OPD tank (star shaped handle)

But hell for a hundred bucks! And it has had quite a few upgrades like the durawood tables and handle as well as a new ignition chamber. Every thing looks to be in sound shape and thoes grills were BULLET PROOF!!!

Joe

If I wanted a gasser, and lived near Chicago, that would be mine!

Heck of a deal - and he says the tank will have an OPD valve, the one on it was just for testing.

Guy told me that he took an old style tank to Kmart and for $18 got a full Blue Rhino tank with OPD valve. I just shook my head!

A friend of mine just bought a Genesis 1000 that didn't look as good as that one. He paid $300.00 for it. I am about 100 miles north of that area. I may just go for it to resell it. I don't know... I have too many of them allready.

OMG! I just found out. That same "friend" just picked this one up too! He will have fun with it. He is also a customer service rep. And he is a Weber and Ducane service agent.

I still think you got the better deal! The only dif's are the gen 1 should only have a half wire rack on the bottom and the contimint holder next to the controll panel. I have a Gen 1000 I bought new in 98. Best $400 I ever spent!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Joe Osborn:
it's actualy a Genesis 1 and I don't think you can just change out the hose and regulator without replacing the manifold </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Joe - Can you explain why that would be? I just bought what I believe to be a Genesis 3 on Craigslist, and I had to replace the regulator which was leaking. It was probably not the original - it was attached with a hose clamp to a brass nipple screwed into the manifold. I bought the Weber regulator for the older Genesis models - the instructions do say "Note: Some older models have the hose threaded directly into the bottom of the manifold... If [so], contact Customer Service to replace the manifold." However I screwed the hose into the manifold with teflon tape around the threads - it is tight and does not leak.

I called Customer Service and they said that yes, the recommendation to replace the manifold was in their notes too... but could not explain what the issue is. I would be interested to know. The only thing I can think of is that over time, movement of the hose might stress the spot where the hose screws in. As far as I know, the new manifold design merely adds a fitting between the manifold and the hose? Which doesn't seem like that much of an improvement.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">And the tank doesn't look like an OPD tank (star shaped handle) </div></BLOCKQUOTE> For what it's worth, older OPD tanks might not have the newer handle. A friend had her 1997-era Genesis converted to NG, and gave me the old tank. It has the old round handle, but is clearly labeled as an OPD tank. I've read that the new-style handle did not become standard until later. (Not that I would expect the kid at the gas station who refills tanks to know that.) I'll need to trade it in anyway, since it is a quick-disconnect valve which I can't use.

Correct on the tank... The only way to be sure is to check the side of the valve for the letters "OPD" stamped or cast into the valve. Only a "few" tanks were made with star handles that were also OPD tanks. You can also have the tank re-valved with an OPD valve and still keep the old handle. Tanks are only rated for 10 years and must be replaced after that time weather re-valved or not.

As for your hose and regulator question, It is for two reasons.
1. The round manifolds are factory sealed with a brass elbow or straight fitting because you cannot bottom out the male fitting on a round manifold without it leaking at some point. Same point can be said for O2 sensors on car exsaust systems. They have a lug or nut welded to the pipe so the sensor can bottom out without leaking.
2. On some of the older grills with square tube manifolds the metal is just too thin to have and keep a good seal. If you look at the junction of the brass elbow on the newer manifolds as well as the valves on all manifolds, they are glued in place and then tested at high pressure to ensure leak free operation.

Lets face it... Manifolds cost about $50.00 to replace and they come with a new hose and regulator that can be replaced in the future as needed. Often times, the sweep on the new manifolds is different than the old manifolds so we send out a new control pannel at no charge.

On one final note, it's just flat out safer to replace thoes parts that make you wonder how safe the grill actually is.

Back