Competition Plan

Mark B (azmark)

TVWBB Member
I've been curious in entering a contest come Autumn and Winter so I was wondering how competition cookers with the WSM go about planning their cooks? Do you use pork and brisket in the same cooker and leave chicken and ribs for the other?

I plan on picking up another 22.5 soon.

Using a 22 and 18 WSM, I do the butts then chicken in the 18 and brisket then ribs in the 22.

Originally posted by mk evenson:
Brad, what is your rib cook time/ brisket hold time?

Mark

Ribs I go around 5.5-6 hours (St Louis style spares) depending on trim weight, brisket I plan on 2hrs hold, pull at 191-192 to foil then hold. I also do burnt ends with the ribs. I usually do 3 racks of ribs and 2 briskets.

Brad My brain must be full of smoke. If brisket comes off 5-6 hrs before ribs are done and rib turn in is 12:30 AND BRISKET 1:30. Unless you are cooking your ribs at the same time as your brisket the hold time doesn't add up for me. You did write that you cook your brisket THEN your ribs on the same cooker so I figured the brisket came off when the ribs went on.
This is my 1st year competing so I am curious, since we use the same cookers, pretty much.

Mark

I used to use two wsms and it is easily achievable. When I did I did shoulder and chicken in one and brisket in ribs in the other. I would hold the brisket for 4 hours. If something wasn't done on time I would foil and put it all on one, as in 2 briskets and 2 shoulder, like I say this would only happen if things were taking longer than expected and I had to get ribs on.

Now I use three wsms....get more sleep that way@

Clark

Originally posted by mk evenson:
Unless you are cooking your ribs at the same time as your brisket
Mark

Sorry for the confusion. The ribs do go on while the brisket is still on.

Do a couple of practice runs if you can, maybe trying a couple of different combinations. My reason for the butt/chicken and brisket/rib combinations is smoker size.

I smoked my butt, brisket and ribs all on 1 18.5wsm. I had the butt on for 15hrs then foiled, 9hrs for brisket and foiled. Both were foiled for 2hrs. My ribs went on at 6am and I added charcoal and apple chunks. They were a little slow because off that I had in the smoker. So I fired up my 18.5 kettle so I could spread my rips out when it came time to sauce them. I was very happy with all of my meat but I did nit place. This was my first comp and it was a new comp.

Originally posted by Brad W:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mk evenson:
Unless you are cooking your ribs at the same time as your brisket
Mark

Sorry for the confusion. The ribs do go on while the brisket is still on.

Do a couple of practice runs if you can, maybe trying a couple of different combinations. My reason for the butt/chicken and brisket/rib combinations is smoker size. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm always a little apprehensive of cooking chicken along with anything else since I've over cooked one of them lol.

Of course I assume chicken always goes on the bottom grate?

Originally posted by Mark B (azmark):
Of course I assume chicken always goes on the bottom grate?

As long as somethings on the top rack, yes. I don't cook anything under poultry, covered or not.

Back