Deep South Lump Experiment

Kaz S

TVWBB Pro
After seeing daniel wolgast's Home made lump in the iron chef tea challenge I knew that I had to try this. Because we have lots of barrels and tons of oak. I called on help from my uncle a retired forest fire / wild fire / controlled burning extraordinaire, weber fan, bbq fanatic, and general badass dude who I also gave a wsm last year, he's awesome. Basically I just had to implant the idea and give him some drums and he came up with the rest.

Here's what he built.
utf-8BMTAwTUVESUEzNklNQUcwMzY2LmpwZw.jpg

Made some chunks out of some seasoned oak rounds.
utf-8BMTAwTUVESUEzNklNQUcwMzY4LmpwZw.jpg

Loaded the 30 gallon barrel up.
utf-8BMTAwTUVESUEzNklNQUcwMzczLmpwZw.jpg

Lit the bottom.
utf-8BMTAwTUVESUEzNklNQUcwMzc1LmpwZw.jpg

Let it burn/keep adding fuel to the bottom fire for 8 hours and then sit overnight. And wha-lah
utf-8BMTAwTUVESUEzNklNQUcwMzg4LmpwZw.jpg

Pure yellow river oak lump charcoal.
utf-8BMTAwTUVESUEzNklNQUcwMzkxLmpwZw.jpg

So now for the REAL test.
utf-8BSU1HMDIwNTYtMjAxMjAxMTQtMTg1My5qcGc.jpg

Some beef ribs roti style. With salt and lemon pepper.
utf-8BSU1HMDIwNTctMjAxMjAxMTQtMTg1Ni5qcGc.jpg

It has no problem getting hot! Good stuff!
utf-8BSU1HMDIwNjMtMjAxMjAxMTQtMTkwNi5qcGc.jpg

While the ribs were turning I was basting with a steve riachlen carolina vinegar mop, good stuff. With my new basting mop that my same uncle got me for xmas to keep oak leaves and acorns out of my sauce. Its willams-sonoma, and I love it!
utf-8BSU1HMDIwNjQtMjAxMjAxMTQtMjAyNi5qcGc.jpg

Ribs are coming along nicely. They like the charcoal also!
utf-8BSU1HMDIwNjUtMjAxMjAxMTQtMjExOS5qcGc-1.jpg

Here's my rig. Temps ran about 350 for this cook and took a tad over 2 hours. Maybe 2.5
utf-8BSU1HMDIwNjYtMjAxMjAxMTQtMjIzOS5qcGc.jpg

After a short rest I carved them up.
utf-8BSU1HMDIwNjktMjAxMjAxMTQtMjMwMi5qcGc.jpg

And sat down to eat!
utf-8BSU1HMDIwNzYtMjAxMjAxMTQtMjMwOC5qcGc.jpg

I think they were the best ribs I've ever done. They were fantastic. Spicey, tangy, smokey, but nothing overpowering the other components. I didn't add any smoke wood either didn't need it.

I did have to keep the lid on to keep the charcoal from igniting tho. But not that big of a deal. I just had the lid off for a minute to mop about every 20 minutes.

About the charcoal rig. The 55 gallon drum is up on bricks with holes drilled in the bottom. And the smaller 30 gallon drum is up on bricks inside it. I think he said he drilled holes in the bottom of the 30 gallon drum too, but I need to ask him again to verify. He said he got about 60% of the volume. As it shrank back about 40%. He plans on making atleast 3 more for himself and one for me. He says if he's sitting out there tinkering with one why not have 3 going and really get a pile. But I loved my first cook with it. He is gonna report back to me on how it cooks in the wsm.

Thanks daniel, thank you all!

Very cool post. If there is no lid on the oak, how does it get hot enough to turn to lump charcoal without igniting? Amazing. Great ribs, great food too.
utf-8BMTAwTUVESUEzNklNQUcwMzczLmpwZw.jpg

Looks fantastic Kaz! Love that charcoal rig...Maby something i should try. Our charcoal burns super hot aswell. Great Post! Thumbs up!

Gary: In the small pic you can se the lid.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Gary: In the small pic you can se the lid. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Oh, of course. Then, where is the vent hole?

Awesome, awesome, awesome! That's some fine looking lump, for sure. Rib's ain't too shabby either.

I have the same basting brush but I keep veg. oil in it and use it to oil the grill grates after brushing and before the meat goes on.

Back