Red-Eye Gravy

Chet Johnson

TVWBB Super Fan
RE: Gravy Lesson For Keri's Biscuits

Ok I'll start, but I'm really looking forward to yours. I make a cream gravy too, but since that was already mentioned, I thought I would contribute something different.

------
Red-eye gravy

Fry up a two or three 1/4" slices of ham (I like the brown sugar glazed stuff for this. Go for some real nice carmalization on 'em.

Remove the ham and deglaze the pan with about 1/2 cup of coffee. I personally don't think you need to reach for the Starbucks on this one, unless it's left over from yesterday. Be sure to scrape up all that tasty stuff from the bottom.

Boil mixture until reduced by half (two or three minutes on high heat?)

Now this is where I generally stop and serve it over ham, biscuits, grits, whatever... That's because I'm impatient. The amount here would serve two.

If you are ambitious, consider adding a bit of whole milk or cream and continue...

Definately get's the morning started with a bang.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stone:
Wow. Is this really what red-eye gravy is? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yepper, it is.

I ship in Ethiopian Yrgacheff coffee from California that's roasted dark and really tasty. Yesterday's bottom of the pot makes great red-eye.

Back