New to the WSM - having trouble with ribs

Eric Simon

TVWBB Fan
Greetings, all! I am new to the world of smoking and am anxious to figure it all out. I received a new 18" WSM for my birthday and have been practicing with babyback ribs.

I think I may be having a problem with the built-in temperature gauge; I think it may be reading about 50 degrees too cool (i.e. it reads 225 when it is really 275).

Yesterday, I cooked some lovely babyback ribs. I started by applying a mustard/balsamic wet rub. Then I gave a generous sprinkling of a homemade rib rub. I put the rack in a large ziplock and left it in the fridge overnight. The next day, I let it sit at room temperature for an hour to warm up. Here is how it looked:
http://i534.photobucket.com/al...mon/BBQ/P5280034.jpg

(BTW, I am not sure the best way to post/link photos on the board.)

Isn't that a nice looking rack of ribs? :) I fired up the grill with a full chimney of coals and ran a modified Minion method. I put the ribs on the top rack and let it sit undisturbed for 3 hours, keeping the temp (according to the built-in) at 200-225. Here is how they looked after 3 hours:

http://i534.photobucket.com/al...mon/BBQ/P5280038.jpg

At that point, I put them in a foil along with a sprinkling of balsamic, placed them on the bottom rack, and ran them for another hour (total: 4 hours). Here is how they looked at the end of the 4th hour:

http://i534.photobucket.com/al...mon/BBQ/P5280039.jpg

http://i534.photobucket.com/al...mon/BBQ/P5280040.jpg

Don't those look overdone at only 4 hours? The meat seems to be pulled too far off the bone. When I picked them up with tongs to transfer back to the top rack, the rack almost split into two (i.e. it seemed too soft). Well, I sauced them (homemade), sprinkling some maple sugar, and ran them for another hour. Here is how they looked after the total of 5 hours:

http://i534.photobucket.com/al...mon/BBQ/P5280046.jpg

I believe the ribs were too soft, too easily pulling off the bone. You can see that here after I tried to cut them up:

http://i534.photobucket.com/al...mon/BBQ/P5280048.jpg

They were delicious but definitely softer (i.e. overcooked) from what I was going for. I ran them for a total of five hours, never exceeding 225 (and usually close to 200). From what I've read, they should not be overcooked at that point (i.e. I ran one hour less than the standard 3-2-1).

Any help? Thanks!

One thing I've learned on this site (and you'll hear this alot around here): The meat's done when the meat's done. The timeline is just a guide.

If you think your therm is off, test it by placing it in boiling water and see if it reads close to what it should. You can also use a glass of ice water and see if it reads close to 32*. I know there is a guide for the boiling point of water in certain areas in the U.S. around here somewhere, but I can't seem to find it right now. Maybe someone that knows where it's at can provide a link.

Also, I don't know if this was the first time you used your WSM or not, but the WSMs have a tendency to run hot for the first few cooks until they get a layer of smoke grease built up inside them.

Eric,

I agree with Chris. Your situation appears as though your thermo may be off. Double check it. Unlike baking which uses precise times, temps and measurements; Qing is not an exact science. Use times and temps as guidelines, but always check the meat for tenderness. When it's tender; it's done.

Paul

Eric

Just curious about the "modified" minion method ??

Is that using the "full" chimney of hot ?

Please explain.

Thanks

Okay. I removed the therm, filled a pot to capacity, brought it to a vigorous boil, laid two chopsticks across the top of the pot, and balanced the therm on them, immersing the sensor. It read 185.

This tells me that, indeed, the therm in the Weber is reading about 35 degrees too low. Given that this is a new unit (received in May, used about 10 times), I am tempted to call to get a replacement thermometer. But that one will probably need to be tested and will be a little off, so I'll just learn to adjust my cooking temps so that it reads about 175.

That would explain why my ribs are getting overcooked. I'll make the adjustment and try again! Thanks.

John,

I started with a full chimney. I used standard Kingsford. I lit the chimney and got it to the grey ash stage. Then I put it in the charcoal chamber on top of a 1/2 full ring of black charcoal. Spread out the hot coals. Added some wood chunks on top. Assembled the cooker. Kept the vents opened until it read about 220, then added the meat and regulated the temp from there to keep it around 220.

I like doing it this way because the smoker gets to temp relatively quickly and I don't need to run it for more than 6 hours or so. The coals seem to last as long as I need them.

Am I off base here?

Eric, your method of charcoal lighting sounds fine. I personally don't light a full chimney at start-up, but there's nothing wrong with it. There are almost as many different ways of lighting the WSM up as there are people using WSMs, and what's important is that what you do works for you. If what you're doing works and you like it, don't change it.

As for the therm - now that you know it's off, you've got the right idea of adjusting the temps down. Some people here prefer to cook at higher temps (around 300* and higher), but, again, that's personal preference. You seem to be like me and prefer to keep things low. I try to keep mine around 250*, but can easily accept anything from 200* to 275* before I start to make changes. Alot of people that like high heat cooks like it because it shortens the cook time, but I don't mind having meat on the smoker all day. I love the smell, and don't mind it taking awhile to get done.

I just thought I'd mention the high-heat method to illustrate that you don't necessarily have to lower your temps to get good que, you will just need to check the meat earlier and be aware that the cooks won't take as long if you don't adjust the temps down. But, whatever way you decide to go, that's the right way, because no one else can really tell you how to cook on your cooker.

Best of luck for your next cook! Let us know how the next batch of ribs comes out. I'm anxious to find out.

Eric

your lighting method is fine.

I'm wondering and maybe someone witha new WSM with the thermometer on it from the factory will chime in.

Are the factory thermometers adjustable ?
Can you recalibrate them.
My thermometer I mounted in the lid has an adjustment on it.
just not sure about the factory mounted thermometer on the "New 2009" models?

Just a thought.

Eric, I'd also suggest getting a really nice, extra sharp boning knife. The Forschner line has a relatively inexpensive, razor sharp boning selection.

Even if your ribs are a little too soft, the sharp knife should still be able to slice them so the presentation is good (if you serve for guests).

But as the others have said, definitely adjust the 3-1-1 method to your likeness. I find that foiling for only 45 min is enough for my taste. Like you, I want a little bit off pull, but still coming off the bone. Plus the shorter foiling time will give them a bit longer remainder cook time on the grill to firm up.

Eric - if you read the threads below you'll see i had the same issue. i tested mine and i thin the thermo is fine but still am going to measure the next time i cook. i'm also pretty new to the wsm. i cooked my ribs in about 2 3/4 or 3 hours last time, which was too fast. i keep my vents totally closed so i am not sure how i could correct it anyway.

I have a new (July, 011) WSM that I have only dry run, and cooked brats in. I used a maverick thermo I have bee using for a few years with a different smoker to test against the factory thermo in the lid.

Result: at the same height above the top grate, the maverick and the factory consistently had a five degree difference ranging in temps from 100 degrees to 325 degrees (starting at light up, going to high temps, and then ring the temp back down to 200 for some brats). Half-way between the top grate and the bottom grate, the maverick reads exatcly 10 degrees less than the factory mounted thermo (which should be expected according to some research I have read on this site and elsewhere).

Remember, this is a brand newsmoker with barely any use...things could change or maybe I just got luck with the factory thermo.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Eric Simon:
Okay. I removed the therm, filled a pot to capacity, brought it to a vigorous boil, laid two chopsticks across the top of the pot, and balanced the therm on them, immersing the sensor. It read 185.

This tells me that, indeed, the therm in the Weber is reading about 35 degrees too low. Given that this is a new unit (received in May, used about 10 times), I am tempted to call to get a replacement thermometer. But that one will probably need to be tested and will be a little off, so I'll just learn to adjust my cooking temps so that it reads about 175. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Love my wsm, new users, but if you're gonna go by the dang factory therm, by all means, CHECK IT OUT BEFORE COOKING, and I'd even periodically check it between cooks.

Yes, Weber will send you a new one if it's not accurate, but after trying THREE different OE therms, like the newer water pan, it's clearly not the best Weber could've done.

Like I said, though, I like my wsm, and I like Weber. Just sayin'...

I think that Weber's dome thermometer is just a fancy, decorative hood ornament. Other than looks, it serves little other purpose. With that being the case, simply stick a Taylor candy therm (long probe) down in the vent hole to get an accurate reading.

If you want to get more specific, I use a Maverick ET-732 remote thermometer. You will find the cooking grates often feel different temps than the dome feels. Some vary 25 or more degrees.

Eric,

When we judge ribs in competition, we look for the meat to be tender, but not fall off the bone. When taking a bite, it should pull cleanly but leave teeth marks. By no means should the bite pull all meat off the bone.

IMHO, good rib cooking is an art and takes practice. St. Louis ribs are my favorite to cook since they have enouch fat to render for moisture and tenderness. BB's have less fat, and can easily get overdone. 2-.75-.75 is my average at 225 degrees for BB's, 3-1-1 for St. Louis ribs cut from full spares.

I take a toothpick and push thru the meat to get a feel for doneness. You want a buttery feel with some resistance but not toughness.

I have an older WSM that did not come with a thermometer. I bought a Taylor candy thermometer, model 5911 from Ace Hardware for around $9. It is dead-on accurate, and you can bend the spring steel clip that comes with it to keep it in place in one of the vent holes.

Here's what mine looks like:
downsized_0704110826b.jpg

Jim...thats dead on the money. Exactly what I was talking about.

When I first started smoking with a Weber some years ago, I used the indirect heat method using a Taylor just like you have. I graduated to a smoke-a-nator, then a WSM and the Taylor always works like a champ for less than $10.

I have a new WSM and removed the therm before i did my first dry run and did the boiling water test. It read 210 which is exactly on for me. I would encourage the new guys like me to stick the new therm in some boiling water as part of the assembly process then you will know right out of the box what you are working with. No guessing on that first cook and if you do a seasoning run you can try and hit the sweet spot without thinking you have hit it, but are really 50 degrees off.

Back