Stokerlog Version 5 (final)

Amir

TVWBB All-Star
Hello everyone.

Long time readers know that I got stuck in the mud, finalizing version 5 when my laptop crashed on concrete at LAX security checkpoint
icon_frown.gif
. I had a back up copy on my desktop but lacked the last set of bug fixes.

So today I finally got the thing working with an external monitor and pulled off the source code. I rebuilt it and updated the release string in Help->About to final. Here it is: http://amir-views.com/downloads/StokerlogV5.msi

Note that there is NO functionality change. But before I can add some, I need to make sure this is the version we all blessed in the Preview thread.

So please uninstall your old version and give this one a try. And post any issues you see. Once there, then I can get back to adding a few new features.

Thanks everyone,
Amir

P.S. Fujitsu wanted $750 to replace the LCD and I could not find anyone else who had the right LCD....

Seems to work fine for me!

A couple of suggestions from my usage since I purchased the Stoker a short while ago:

1.) Due to wireless network issues, sometimes when I click Start, due to dropped packets, the connection attempt will timeout. It would be nice if StokerLog sends retransmission packets instead of failing to connect when some of the telnet connection packets are dropped. Alternatively, automatic reconnect attempts would be nice (perhaps an option to set number of reconnect attempts and time between attempts etc)

2.) Upon disconnection (once again due to wireless network issues), automatic reconnect to StokerLog.

Keep up the good work!

Thanks. Retry mechanism is my main motivation to work on the software again
icon_smile.gif

My goal was #2. I have to think of how to accomplish the same for #1.

Installed ok for me, will try a cook later this week.

I did notice that I still could not load any old .bbq files.

Originally posted by Amir:
Fujitsu wanted $750 to replace the LCD and I could not find anyone else who had the right LCD....

I would have just taken the drive out and copied the data using an IDE -> USB cable. Write that laptop off and get another. For $700 you can get a pretty nice machine.

Thanks for the update. I will install ASAP.

-rob

Originally posted by RobM (YankeeRob):
I would have just taken the drive out and copied the data using an IDE -> USB cable. Write that laptop off and get another. For $700 you can get a pretty nice machine.
Agree. Alas, it took me forever to find a laptop like it as it has a matt screen and proper fidelity for photo work (i.e. it isn't blue like most of them).

Amir,

I downloaded StokerLog V.5 Final and set up the Stoker for today’s Corned Beef cook. Only problem that I had was that I had to reset the IP address from .3 (at the end) to a high number. It’s humming along perfectly right now. Should be done at 1630. I’m running a 10 CFM fan on the 22” WSM.

Another job well done! Thank you.

Happy St. Patty’s Day!

Chuck

Thanks Chuck. I am overseas right now but when I get back next week, I hope to start adding a few new features....

Downloaded to my home computer.
I am getting the follow error when trying to connect.

Unhandled exception has occurred in your application. If you click contine ..bla bla bla

Access to the path C:\program files (x86)\amirM software\stokerlog\stokerlogtxt’ is denied

Details ...
See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path 'C:\Program Files (x86)\AmirM Software\StokerLog\StokerLog.txt' is denied.
at Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.Symbols.Container.InvokeMethod(Method TargetProcedure, Object[] Arguments, Boolean[] CopyBack, BindingFlags Flags)
at Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.NewLateBinding.LateGet(Object Instance, Type Type, String MemberName, Object[] Arguments, String[] ArgumentNames, Type[] TypeArguments, Boolean[] CopyBack)
at StokerLog.StokerLog.StartButton_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.1434 (REDBITS.050727-1400)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework64/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
StokerLog
Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/AmirM%20Software/StokerLog/StokerLog.exe
System.Windows.Forms
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Drawing
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
Microsoft.VisualBasic
Assembly Version: 8.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 8.0.50727.1434 (REDBITS.050727-1400)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic/8.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll
ZedGraph
Assembly Version: 5.0.7.40149
Win32 Version: 5.0.7.40149
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/AmirM%20Software/StokerLog/ZedGraph.DLL
AxInterop.WMPLib
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/AmirM%20Software/StokerLog/AxInterop.WMPLib.DLL
Interop.WMPLib
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/AmirM%20Software/StokerLog/Interop.WMPLib.DLL

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

I am on Windows Vista with this computer.

Thanks. Looks like it has permission problems with the input logfile. Did you happen to install the original version as administrator and this one not?

Fixed.
I tried to remove the offending file .. it was not there. So I tried to create a blank .txt file in that location. And it would not let me save to that folder.
So I checked security on the folder and changed it to let all users write to the folder. All is working now.

whats it like having to work with computer idiots? Although I am happy I figured it out. :)

If you knew enough to navigate the folders and check permissions and such, you are many, many moons ahead of computer idiots
icon_smile.gif

Of course, this idiot was too lazy to do a check on that call to make sure it didn't fault.
icon_smile.gif
In my defense, that was a debugging tool for me that is left in there....

Can somebody explain how to fix that problem for me,I'm getting the same error message and can't connect. ps..go easy I'm not too computer savvy. Thanks

Navigate to the folder .. follow the path in your error message. For me it was ..
Start > My Computer > C drive > Program Files
Then right click on the “AmirM Software” file and select properties.
This should bring up a window with 4 tabs at the top.
Select “security”.
You then need to select the user name that you are signing in with. Then bellow that, check the “Full Control” box.
Then click OK.

Like I said in an earlier post. I’m not real good with computers, so anyone please correct me if I have miss spoken somewhere.

Thanks for the step by step,just what I was looking for.I'm connected, thanks for your help.

So yesterday I got the Chargriller out for the first cook of the year. Now, I am no expert- I just got into this hobby last year and this was my first one of this year...

Anyway, I think I may have accidentally found a major flaw with the stokerlog app.

Normally, I just keep the stokerlog running and keep feeding the Chargriller lump. I usually go through a couple bags of lump every cook. Well this time was a bit differtent, and i noticed why.

I actually got the basket lit and everything ready before I turned the stokerlog on. So by the time I had all the probes named, blower set as control, etc, and the stoker log running, the Chargriller was already about 50 degrees hotter than I usually run it during smokes.

This is pretty wild, because i normally struggle just getting this thing up to temperature. For me to hit 230 degrees and maintain it with the chargriller usually means i am feeding basket afet basket of lump during the cook.

Well the temperature kept rising this time. I have 2 pit probes, one on each side of the chargriller. The one closest tpo the fire pit hit something like 415 degrees- and helt it (I can't remember exactly what it was, but it was over 400). The one on the other side of the Chargriller, by the smokestack, held steady at like 275 or so. And, again, I normally struglle to maintain 230 on the firebox side, so these temps were unheard of (but welcomed). And i held this temperature, one one basket, for around 5 hours. And, again, this was unheard of in any of my previous cooks.

Now, the fan never came on because the pit temp was already well over the target. So I did a little test to see how high I could get it. I set the target temp for about 5 degrees higher than the current temp.

When the fan came on, bingo! My temperature dropped like a rock. Went right down to the 230 I normally get. So I started thinking maybe the fan is blowing all the heat out. I set the target down to 5 degrees cooler than I was currently at. The fan went off, and bingo! The temperature climbed right back up to the unprecedented high levels I had been experiencing.

So my conclusion is that the fan is actually blowing heat out of the Chargriller in some cases.

Now, my Chargriller has the smokestack mod- bringing the smokestack down to the grill level (inside the lid) and I also went around the edges of the lid stuffing aluminum foil in there to seal it better. So I don't know how this would work with an unmodded grill. But I definitely lost temperature when the fan came on.

Is there any way we could get a future version of stokerlog to detect when the fan is actually blowing heat out of the grill and adjust for it? There are a number of ways to do it, but i don't know if it is something that would be considered or not.

Anyway, I still love the app, and want to thank the author for his time creating it.

Stokerlog is just a monitoring program. It is the stoker which is taking all the actions you noted.

Can I ask you run an experiment and put in a parallel tempreature probe to that of stoker to make sure your hardware is working OK? Your observations don't match anything I have seen before.

I would guess that its the probe. I would'nt think you could have 130 degree difference between ends of the smoker. just a guess ????

Also we have started our stoker in the middle of cooks and never have had a problem.

Back