Pork sausage patty recipe?

Mike Willis

TVWBB All-Star
I've searched this forum for information on pork sausage, but all I can find are recipes for stuffed pork sausage. I am a HUGE fan of ground pork sausage patties. I want to grind my own pork, add seasonings and cook up some patties.

Does anyone here have a good handle on making your own ground pork for patties? I'm thinking of grinding some pork butt and adding appropriate spices for a breakfast sausage but that is where I hit the wall. I don't like too much sage in it, I don't want it too hot for breakfast, but I want a great flavor. Do I go with straight pork butt or mix in some ground pork tenderloin? What spices do I add for that breakfast sausage flavor? I don't use MSG - it has a negative effect on me.

Does anyone here have a good jumping off point for pork sausage breakfast patties? We like (sorry about this) McDonald's Sausage McMuffin with Egg sandwiches and would like to make our own, as well as just having patties on the side with eggs and hash browns.

Thanks everyone! By the way, my buckboard bacon will be ready to smoke in 2 days. I'll slice it and let you know how it turns out.

pork butt on its own works well but may end up a bit too high in fat for some. You can add some loin to the mix but then you'll end up with a lot ground. I suggest starting with a butt and removing the fat cap and grinding the rest.

When I make breakfast patties, I usually follow this recipe:

2500 g (5 lbs) ground pork
42 g salt
1.25 g dried sage
1.5 g ground black pepper
19 g brown sugar
0.75 g dried thyme
0.25 g dried marjoram
0.25 g ground clove
0.2 g red pepper flakes

I use my stuffer to load the mix into large collagen casings, twist tie the ends and stick it into the freezer until solid. Using a big cleaver, I'll slice the frozen log into uniform discs.

Howdy hi Mike,

Breakfast sausage is kind of like the ongoing discussion of cornbread. Everybody has their own idea of what is the best. And, the recipes and prep methods vary widely for both everybody's favorite sausage and for everybody's favorite cornbread.

As always, j biesinger's recipe and ideas are spot-on. Simply trimming away fat from pork butt would likely be the cheapest way to reduce fat content--rather than adding in lean pork tenderloin. But, you could do either to achieve the fat-to-lean ratio that you want.

Previously, I made a posting about homemade, fresh breakfast sausage here It has a relatively small amount of sage and I think you'll find that you can't make a copycat of McDonald's sausage without at least some sage. The recipe calls for MSG, but it can simply be left out of the recipe and will likely make an acceptable sausage without the MSG.

It should be fairly easy to try several recipes during one session of sausage making. Simply make two or three batches with different recipes by dividing the meat from one large butt. As you try each recipe, you can then make adjustments to the recipe you like best when you make fresh breakfast sausage the next time.

Looking forward to reading (seeing too) about the buckboard bacon and breakfast sausage!

###

Mike,

Consider this recipe:

Meats Metric US
pork butt 1000 g 2.2 lb.

Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of meat
salt 18 g 3 tsp.
pepper 2.0 g 1 tsp.
sage (rubbed) 2.0 g 1 tsp.
nutmeg 0.5 g ¼ tsp.
ginger 0.5 g ? tsp.
thyme (dried) 1.0 g 1 tsp.
cayenne pepper 0.5 g ¼ tsp.
cold water 100 g ? cup
(courtesy of Wedliny Domowe)

I find butt the perfect cut for pork sausage. And any stuffed sausage recipe will work work for patties as well.

Paul

Back