Chip repair on Performer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry M

TVWBB Member
On my new to me 1997 Performer that I am rehabbing there are some chips in the porcelain on the outside of the bowl and the lid. They are not too big, about a dozen being about the size of a dime and two that are about an inch long by half inch wide. How do you repair these to prevent rust? Has anyone successfully used a porcelain repair kit and then painted? Is there any other kind of filler that can be used to make it smooth? I assume I can use high temp engine paint for the final coat?

I emailed Weber about this and they told me that the porcelain couldn't be repaired with the typical porcelain repair kit because the porcelain enammeled coating on the grills is baked on at very high temperature.

That being said, I've had good luck covering scratches with high-heat grill/engine paint. It doesn't give you the smooth finish that a true repair would, but it nevertheless keeps rust spots away. I'm rehabing a 1992 Performer. If I can get the ash catcher ring from Weber, I'm done. I ordered the cover from them today.

Pat

Pat, I wish you luck on the ash catcher. I understand a lot of things are on back order.

Unless someone else comes up with a better idea, I will get some engine paint and at least touch up the chip places. Has anyone painted the whole grill and if so what prep did they do? I would think the whole grill would look better than some spots that do not match. Has anyone used a filler before painting to fill the void from the missing porcelain? Is so, what did you use?

Larry - I've seen posts about people taking their WSM's to a paint shop and having them "powder coated" but I must confess that I don't know what that involves or what the temperature limits are on this. They seemed to be giving their smokers a "custom paint job."

I looked for filler that was rated to withstand the temps the grill will hit and didn't find any,b but I may just not have known where to look.

Good luck.

Pat

Larry I have some chips on my old Weber so went to Advance Auto and found this metal filler that can be sanded. It's good to 2400 degrees also high heat paint to 1200. I'm gonna have the brightest Weber on the planet earth. They do have other colors. It's high heat not engine paint. Good luck.
Picture704.jpg

Picture704.jpg

Thanks Robert, I have this vision of you typing away on a smart phone in the dark with the wife giving you ugly looks.
icon_smile.gif

I will look for these products. Have you used them?

Larry

no I waited to post till I got up this a.m. Haven't tried them yet hoping this week sometime. I have to get the grill ready for a grilling competition. Wait till they see this bright orange beauty.

powdercoating is not good for the temps that grills operate at.

clean up the area as best you can and use the hi-temp paint. maybe try the porcelian repair over it?

good luck.

Mike

I have used Duplicolor 1200 degree paint on a few small nicks. I have not had any problems ith the paint. Yeah it is not an exact match but..good enough....most importantly no rust will form.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back