Has anyone tried the 5 hour pork butt on kickassbbq.com?

Seems interesting. 2 hours in foli will lose the bark I think. Also I am curious if the fat really renders out like it does on a long cook.

Originally posted by Clay Jackson:
Seems interesting. 2 hours in foli will lose the bark I think. Also I am curious if the fat really renders out like it does on a long cook.

Clay, there is plenty of bark when doing this. I've done this about 3 times now and everytime, they have all came out just as good as the ones that have been cooked for 2-3x longer.

Yes, that is interesting and I may give it a try. The thought of a day-time Butt cook is appealing. I also have questions about bark formation and fat rendering...?

I would be interested in more detail from someone who does this on the WSM. I'm sure you would use an empty foil lined pan, but maintaing those high temps with that much of a meat heat sink would seem like a challenge.

Paul

This is what I normally do to cook my butt and it taste's just as good as the 12 hour ones.
Just wondering, do you smoke the butts in aluminum pans as the website suggests?

Rick

Originally posted by Rick R:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">This is what I normally do to cook my butt and it taste's just as good as the 12 hour ones.
Just wondering, do you smoke the butts in aluminum pans as the website suggests?

Rick </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I pretty much follow that site for what it says.
I put a generous rub about 1 hour before I'm ready to start cooking. I heat up my WSM to about 350 (which is very easy). I then use an aluminum pan and place it in there. Sometimes, I will either inject the Butt or just pour some apple juice in the pan. Both times were good. I also spray the Butt about every half hour to an hour with apple juice to keep it moist. After about 3 hours, I then cover it with foil. Around the fifth hour, it should be at or close to 195. I then pull it out and wrap it in foil.

Here is my buddy's site

Look at how he does his fire. I was able to hold 350 for a good 8-10 hours the last time I did this.

So the PB just site in its fat juices while cooking? Clean up looks easy.

I'm surprised he even uses a water pan.

I am very tempted to try this. I have a party this weekend I am cookin for...I'm not sure I will try it for this though. Although...five hours is very attractive. The party does not start until 7pm which means as of now I am starting the PBs in the middle of the night...4am or so....noon would be a lot easier.

If your party doesn't start until 7 I would do it this way. You can start cooking at around 9 or 10. This way, when it reaches your ideal temp, you can wrap it, rest it, and then pull.

If I am doing two Butts, how would this style of cooking effect the lower rack butt?

I guess it wil be the same, just a little cooler down there.

I went to your buddy's site and it was very detailed...thank you.

When you do it, do you light one full chimney and the place an unlit chimney on top and then the wood (standard method)? Or do you do it your friend's way.

When you are wrappiong the PB in foil, are you wrapping the actual butt or putting a foil cover on the aluminum pan?

Also, should I poke holes in the bottom of the pan so that my fat drips away from the meat?

Hey Clay,
I do the wood my friend's way since this is the best way for me to maintain a temp of 350. Also, I just cover the pan and not the entire but with the foil. This just helps it from drying out. As far as the holes, I don't do that. I think that fat that falls helps keep the butt a little moist.

Sorry for all of the questions. Thanks for the help. I will be trying this tomorrow, Saturday. Party is at 7pm so I will light the grill around 9am and have the temps ready by 10am. I might not make five hours, but maybe 8 should do it.

Originally posted by Clay Jackson:
Sorry for all of the questions. Thanks for the help. I will be trying this tomorrow, Saturday. Party is at 7pm so I will light the grill around 9am and have the temps ready by 10am. I might not make five hours, but maybe 8 should do it.

Questions are always welcome. That's how we learn this stuff. Also, don't worry if it take's 5 or 7 hours. That's just a guideline. Pay more attention to your target temperature. Also, what kind of fuel are you using?

I will be opening my last bag of Old Kingsford.

So from the bottom, I am going to go with chimney of charcoal, wood, charcoal, hot charcoal (how much?), wood.

I assume a half chimney lit should be enough to get this going to 350.

Will have two Butts...one on top in a pan and one on the bottom doing the same.

I normally have a half to 3/4 full chimney. I might be overdoing it but it's been good so I haven't really done much to change it. For the butts, I was thinking of maybe rotating them after the halfway point. IF not, you can actually probably put both butts on the top grate depending on the size of the pan you're using.

Worked like a charm. To be homest, I did not trust it and thought it would take longer...guess what, my food is ready too early.

Here is what I did.

8:30 am lit 3/4 chimney.
9:15 assembled WSM
At 2:30pm (172 degrees) I placed foil on top of Aluminum pans
At 3:45pm Meat was at 202.
Now resting in Cooler
Guests coming at 7:30pm

So it took 7 hours, but I think I could bring it down to five or six. I loved using the aluminum pans to cook in. I will do that from now on. No messy water pan to clean up from dripping fat.

I will let you know how it tastes and fat rendering content when we are finished. Thanks for the help!

Clay, I was just gonna update this post for you. It took me about 7 hours today due to windy conditions but it came out pretty good so far. Only thing is this time, I didn't foil after the 3 hour mark. I just left it. Reason being is because i had two in there and was just plain lazy to lift one grate to get to the other. I figured I injected enough liquid that it would stay moist. They're wrapped in foil after hitting the 195 degree mark and sitting in a cooler. I'll be pulling these suckers in about an hour or so.

Back