Panning larger cuts

Alan B (Big AL)

TVWBB Member
Anyone pan your pork and beef on an 18.5 WSM in competitions? I'm thinking of putting my butt and brisket on a rack in a disposable pan without liquid in the water pan at 275+.

I have done both butts and chicken in pans in my 18.5" WSM for comps with no problem. Makes cleanup very easy and keeps the WSM from getting too dirty. Haven't tried a brisket in a pan yet because I want to keep the bark as much as possible.

I use foil pans for my chicken's sauce bath. Pans might make foiling easier but briskets don't fit in pans and I don't see a lot of benefits from foiling butts.

Ive been panning briskets when at the foiling stage. the amount of juices I have left is incredible. makes it easier to probe too when you only have to open the foil to get to the brisket. pans Im using are the turkey roasting pans on my 22. fits perfect. large briskets dont fit so much.... I had a 13.3 pretrimmed that fit like a glove

Now does it work great and Ill never do anything else? I dont know.

Been using pans for pork & brisket for a couple of years now. Makes it much easier for foiling and going into the Cambro. Afterwards it's a judgement call if it's worth trying to clean them or toss them. Most often, it's toss.

I haven't put water in the pan in a very, very long time. I foil it over for easy cleanup but it's empty.

Russ

Back