Turkey Pastrami questions

Jon Des.

TVWBB Gold Member
As the title implies, I'm not quite sick of turkey yet and I've been considering making a turkey pastrami and have a few questions.

1. I noticed that neither Chris' recipe or the one from the Raichlen book call for any MTQ or Prague Powder, etc. I can see that it wouldn't be necessary to cure the meat, but is it going to be noticably absent in terms of flavor?

2. What cut of meat? I have a couple hotel style bone-in turkey breasts in the freezer, as well as a few turkey tenderloins.

3. What is the traditional smoke wood for pastrami? Or is there such a thing?

Thanks for your help!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">3. What is the traditional smoke wood for pastrami? Or is there such a thing?

Thanks for your help! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I signed on to ask the exact same question.

I just made mine following Raichlen's recipe and used maple for smoke. Smells just like the real thing. I'll post it in the photo gallery when I get a chance.

that recipie looks great.

Im new to curing myself. so its ok without the pink salt? this is going to be next on the list.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Yianni:

Im new to curing myself. so its ok without the pink salt? this is going to be next on the list. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I did not use any pink salt, but it makes sense now that I've gone through the process. No need for nitrates when you are basically just dry-brining in the fridge overnight and then cooking (hot smoking) for 2-3 hours. Mine came out great.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jon Des.:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Yianni:

Im new to curing myself. so its ok without the pink salt? this is going to be next on the list. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I did not use any pink salt, but it makes sense now that I've gone through the process. No need for nitrates when you are basically just dry-brining in the fridge overnight and then cooking (hot smoking) for 2-3 hours. Mine came out great. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So it is safe to do this without the pink salt, you know the week brine? Would it effect the taste very much?

I want to make some for an upcomming snowmobile trip for sandwhiches. just dont want to get people sick..

Im going to do a test run very soon...

Back