Kentucky Cornbread

G

The following cornbread recipe is our family's favorite. It is always a hit with barbecue, but works well with any meal. I hope everyone else enjoys it as much as we do!

Kentucky Cornbread

? 3 Cups Self Rising Cornmeal
? 1/3 cup sugar
? 6 Eggs
. 1 1/2 cup vegetable oil
? 3 Cups Sour Cream (24 oz. Container)
? 2 2/3 Cup Cream Style Corn

Mix ingredients in order listed
Pour into 9 X 13 pan (Greased)
Bake @ 350 degrees for 1 hour (Test w/toothpick)

Top with Honey Butter

. 1 ? Cup butter (softened)
. ? cup Honey

John,

I went to the store yesterday afternoon after reading your post and looked for "self-rising cornmeal". I didn't see such a thing. I found regular corn meal and I found 10-12 ounce boxed mixes for cornbread (just add water, etc.)

Maybe my store is just stupid, but I'm wondering if this is a product I'll find out here in California (not exactly the cornbread appreciation capitol of the world).

Any additional info on the product is appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris

I had to ask the expert(wife)but here in Louisiana corn meal is readily available in both plain and self rising varieties. Either yellow or white.
BG

Chris:

Self rising cornmeal is readily available here in the "cornbread belt" as well. Sorry your having trouble finding it! I would assume the only difference is a dash or two of baking powder, but I'm not certain.

Chris, perhaps this will help if you can get a good stone-ground plain cornmeal where you live. At least it's a starting point:
Self-rising cornmeal:
One of the first convenience baking mixes. It is a blend of cornmeal, flour, baking powder, and salt. Approximate equivalent = 1 1/2 cups
cornmeal, 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, 1 tablespoon baking powder, and 1 teaspoon salt.

I just came across this site for Hodgson Mill, which is popular in our area and a good product. There's a self-rising cornmeal if you scroll down to the bottom.

http://koadmin.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=hodgson&Category_Code=cornmeal

Happy cookin',
Rita

Back