Bratwurst

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I'm going to be doing the BRITU Thursday and I have some bratwurst and was wondering if I could cook them at the same time and temp as the ribs. Any good suggestions on how to prepare the brats. Thanks.

You can cook brats in the WSM just like any other sausage, probably no more than two hours of cooking time. However, my impression is that most folks prefer to do the old routine of boiling them in beer and butter, then grilling them at high heat.

Hey Stogie, what's your opinion on this one?

Regards,
Chris

I would say, you could smoke them, but I view brats as one of the many meats I do not choose to smoke.

Boil for 20 minutes in beer and onion, grill over hot fire, return to beer and onion bath until serving time!

True Packer heaven!! Makes me wanna take my shirt off and run around the block!!

Stogie

I'm not gonna argue with a Packer Fan like Stogie, but I've always added the butter to the beer & onions to stew my brats. The best brats I ever had were these little ones from up north in Eagle River, WI. They were stewed in the B.B.&O for I'd guess 6 hours, just barely simmering. Then (like Stogie said) grilled, and returned to the B.B.& O. They were unreal, I've never beaten them. It's always fun to try though.

Has anyone got a good Pork Top Loin roast recipe for the WSM? I'm tempted to try the BRITU recipe out.

Weber Dave

[This message has been edited by dave estrem (edited 02-14-2001).]

Stogie posted a delicious looking recipe in his reply to the message "Pork Loin Roast" several posts down the list in the Beginner's Forum.

Regards,
Chris

I smoked some brats with some fresh kielbasa, and they were good, however - I must agree that BB & O and then grilled is the best way for brats (What do you expect after having grown up in Wisconsin!) By the way, the kielbasa was awesome. I smoked them for around 1-1/2 hours with a few apple chunks.

Hey Chris & Stogie:

I made the Pork Loin recipe for Saturday night. It was great! I didn't use the Bullet (per Stogie), but instead I fired up my Performer Kettle. I reduced the marinade/glaze down to a syrup and used a squirt-bottle to dispense it. I figured with that much effort into it - I might as well go all the way. Everyone loved it, even the kids (maybe especially the kids). Also made potatoe pancakes, and the Lawry's Creamed Corn. Unbeatable combo! It was worth mucking around outside in the 18 degree temps just to hear my 11 year old daughter say, "Hey, it smells like summer out there!!!"

Thanks for the advice guys!

Weber Dave

Dave do you have a recipe (how much beer,butter&onion)for those brats? I would love to try that!
Thanks
The Goof

You use just enough beer/liquid to cover the brats. I usually use a beer/water mix. 3parts beer, 1 part water. Saves one part beer for me!

The amount of onion depends. For a dozen brats, I'd use use 2 fist-sized onions. They are good to eat on a roll with the brats. The more the merrier!

GO PATS!!

Beer brats are very tasty and easy. I usually cook up a package of Johnsonville brats (about 8), add enough beer to cover, 1 medium onion sliced, 1/2 stick of butter. Bring to boil, reduce to simmer and cook until done (about 15-20 minutes). Grill on high heat until brown, return to beer broth until ready to serve (usually right away) Awesome with a little kraut and spicy mustard.

Johnsonville brats are actually pretty good. If you happen to live in an area of the country where there was/is a healthy German or Dutch population, look for a local butcher that makes sausage. I've fond memories of growing up in the Mid-Hudson Valley of NYS and getting brats from local butchers such as Karl Ehmer's and Rudy's Newburgh Pork Store. The best! But I'm certain folks from certain Michigan and Wisconsin towns will argue the point...

The way I've made brats for years is: Put the Johnsonville's into a decent size stock pot. Slice up an onion or two and throw the slices into the pot. Add 2 cups of water, then two bottles of beer (I prefer J.W. Dundee's Honey Brown, Harpoon India Pale Ale, or Sam Adams - Bud, Miller, and Coors just don't cut it). Simmer this for twenty to thirty minutes. Remove the brats to the grill for finishing, grilling till brown. After removing the brats, open a package of prepared kraut, drain, and put into the liquid the brats cooked in. Add about a tablespoon of caraway seeds and a pinch of brown sugar. Simmer while the brats are grilling. Once the brats are done grilling, put them back into the pot with the liquid, onion, and kraut to keep warm. Letting guests help themselves, serve with fresh, crunchy rolls, and Plockmans or Nathans mustard. Zer goot!!

Peace. Out.

Alan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back