Beef short ribs, need a simple recipe to being

Ryan D

I've been doing pork ribs for several years, but recently found beef ribs (short ribs) in a supermarket at a really good price. So I tried some, and marinaded them in a red wine vinegar and soy based marinade, then rubbed in a brown sugar and paprika basic rub, then mesquite smoked for 6 hours.

They were good but seemed a little too much flavour. I didn't dare add a sauce, but I did use vinegar and some KC Masterpiece and woostershire sauce in the foil when I foiled them. A sauce would have made them way too rich.

What is the basic recipe I should start with to learn abuot been ribs? Has anyone got any hints please?

All the recipies I have googled so far start with a marinade that seems based on things like red wine vinegar or soy sauce. Although I agree those go well with beef, I'm not sure if I should use them to start as it all seemed too much.

Should I just go plain? All my books which are aimed at beginners focus on pork!

Thanks in advance
Ryan

Ryan,
I won't proclaim to be any kind of expert on beef ribs myself. I usually only buy them when they're $1.94 U.S./kilo for my dogs.

But I will throw this out:
Korean, (or flanken ribs as they're referred by to here) marinated overnight in a teryaki base and then grilled over high/direct heat are awesome.

The best (whole) ribs I've had are the ribs cut from a slow roasted rib roast (prime rib) removed, sauced and grilled over high heat again. These are to die for. I would think you could best duplicate them on the rack by dry rubbing with herbs, salt and pepper and then smoking with a minimal amount of subtle smoke for a few hours. Then saucing for the last few minutes.

I too am eager for additional responses.

A few weeks back I made some incredibly tasty beef short ribs, which were done without a marinade. Here's the recipe:

Jennifer’s Beef Short Ribs

2 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp kosher salt
1 tbsp paprika
1 tbsp garlic salt
1 tsp ground black pepper
½ tsp chili powder
1 tsp dried oregano
½ tsp dried rosemary
1 heaping tsp finely chopped fresh thyme
1 heaping tsp finely chopped fresh parsley
couple of pinches of chopped fresh tarragon

Rub the ribs and let the rub settle for around 15-30 mins. Cooked mine in WSM on lower rack at around 225 using oak and hickory wood, with WGC lump.

After the ribs had been on for about 3 1/2 hours, I transferred them into a foil tray with 1 cup of rich beef stock. Covered them and popped them back into the WSM for another hour.

When I took them out, finally, I drained all the juice and stock to make a thin gravy / jus to pour over the ribs at the table. Now that gravy was to die for!

These ribs were very rich and tender, with a great smoky flavor. I would probably cook them an hour longer next time, as the fat was not totally rendered.

They cost $11.50 a kilo here and that is considered very cheap which is why I bought them. Pork spare ribs are $17 a kilo.

I think I am going to cry!

Thanks very much for the recipes. Looking at yours Jennifer I definately over favoured them.

Ryan

Ryan, $11.50 for beef short ribs is a bargain in Oz, for sure. (I lived in Melbourne for a few years). I was surprised at how much flavor they acquire during smoking - it would be very easy to pile on too much intensity with a rub. I certainly wouldn't increase the black pepper or chilli next time I cook this recipe, and I might also swap the 1 tbsp garlic salt for just 1 tsp of garlic powder. Using the fresh herbs really worked really well. The thing I liked best is the foil tray - it captured so much rich meat juice in the final phase of cooking - the ribs ended up tasting like something you would get in a fine restaurant.

I made some beef back ribs last week using a Steven Raichlen recipe. It's simplicity itself as it requires only salt and pepper (and the pepper is optional.) You can see the details at http://www.primalgrill.org/rec...eID=100&EpisodeID=30

I cooked mine for 1:45 using the indirect method on a 22 1/2" kettle and was very happy with the results. I threw some hickory chips over the coals for some extra smoky flavor and controlled the temp to about 270° F as indicated by the thermometer in the handle.

P1010254-PP.JPG

I made your recipe Jennifer, and it was awesome. The herbs are much better with beef than a sugar based sauce.

I used the juice from some beef sausages I fried for breakfast with a spoon of woostershire sauce as the stock to add when foiled.

bbq%252520001.JPG

Back