Tomato Tart

Clark Deutscher

TVWBB All-Star
This is a really really nice tart. We had it for breakfast but I figure it would go good at any time of the day! The one thing I would add is make sure you use excellent tomatoes!

6 Large Tomatoes sliced

- First take the tomatoes and put them on paper towel, salt them and cover with paper towels, press lightly from time to time to mop up any excess moisture.

HPIM0926.jpg

Crust

- 1 Cup Flour (I used king arthur cake flour but all purpose should be fine)
- 1 t salt
- 1/2 C Butter
- 2 loose cups of parmigiano regiano
- 2 T Ice Cold Water

Cut the butter into the flour, parm, and salt (either with a pastry cutter, food pro, or by hand the same as you would for biscuits or a pie crust). Add in the water and make a dough. Press it into a tart pan and fridge for at least 30 minutes.

HPIM0928.jpg

Topping

- Couple T Parmigiano Regiano
- Couple T Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Roughly 1/2 C Fresh Basil
- Tomatoes from above

Grate a bunch more parm onto the crust then top with the tomatoes.

HPIM0929.jpg

Bake or grill at 350 for an hour.

HPIM0930.jpg

Top with fresh basil and some really good quality olive oil and your done. Enjoy!

HPIM0931.jpg

HPIM0932.jpg

HPIM0933.jpg

Clark

Nice tart Clark, I do something similar but I slather dijon mustard on the bottom of the crust, then add sharp cheddar. I also chop up a bit of garlic and sprinkle in with the basil. So simple yet so good.

My heirlooms took a beating while we were gone (they always seem to ripen the week we are vacationing). I managed to salvage enough to try your tart. I didn't salt the sliced toms, but instead sandwiched them between paper towels. I'm not sure if that was sufficient as the crust was a tad soggy. Overall, the tart was a big hit. I'm thinking it will be awesome if I can get all the crust crisp. Any thoughts to prebaking? or maybe I just needed to do the salt?

Thanks for the recipe Clark!

IMG_1331.JPG

Made them, love them and yours is a beauty. I usually only have one, sometimes two colors to work with.

It's a beautiful thing. Nice work as usual.

If you a bit soggy - take out the seeds pulp next time. Just cut in half before the slice and point your finer into the cavity and pull out the seeds pulp. Fresh tomatoes will continue to give up liquid after that, nothing is really lost as far as flavor/acid.

Your effort looks excellent. Try some fresh cilantro along with backing off the basil just a bit if you do next time and a little bit of lime juice and even a shake or two of turmeric.

The whole salting, draining is key. Same with cukes, mushrooms, eggplant, zukes, etc.

Loved your post. Sorry the season is just about over and we will be back to the bland stuff...

Photos are awesome.

Back