Thermometer question

Jason Robinson

I have ordered a wsm and it should be here today I have read all the posts on mods and have few questions for you guys.

1.Which thermo do you all recommend for the wsm.
2.I feel better having the thermo at the grate/food level can you give me pros/cons of this installation.
Thanks

I’m assuming you’re talking about permanently mounting a dial thermometer through the lid. If so, Tel-Tru and Ashcroft both put out quality products and you can’t go wrong with either choice. As for dial sizes, temperature ranges, and other bells and whistles, that’s up to personal preference.

Measuring the temps at grate level is a vague and possibly misleading term. Depending on variables such as how much food you’re cooking, where it’s placed and how it’s arranged, whether anything’s on the bottom shelf, and so on, the temperature at the outside of the grate may be 25 degrees or more higher than that at the center of the grate.

As for the plusses and minuses of mounting at grate level, here are the first few that come to mind.

Pros:

- Knowing what the temperature is at that one particular spot at the grate level.
- No chance of the batteries in a digital thermo dying mid-cook or its electronics getting wet.
- No risk of the digital probe’s cable getting fried due to exposure to high heat.

Cons:

- Having the stem touch the food and give inaccurate, lower readings.
- Having the stem interfere with getting your food in and out.

On my Bullets, I have thermometers with 2 1/2” stems mounted a couple inches above the grate. If I were to do it again, I’d mount them much higher on the dome to reduce the possibility of the stems touching the food.

Regardless of where you choose to mount your thermometer, on the first cook after installing it I’d recommend bringing your WSM up to temperature, put the food on, and let the temperature stabilize. Then, compare the thermometer’s reading against that of a probe in the center. Knowing what the differences are between those readings, you can then adjust your target temperature accordingly to average out the difference.

Then, relax and enjoy the process of cooking something wonderful to eat. Only rocket science should be as complicated as rocket science.

Hope this helps.

Ken

I'd go seven or eight inches up from the bottom. This would put the thermo above the imaginary beltline where the dome starts to curve more dramatically. This would probably put the dial's face about 45 degrees to vertical.

Some folks aim for symmetry and mount it on the opposite side of the handle at the same latitude as the vent.

I was thinking of the dome as hemispherical, and it seemed appropriate. Today is Robby Krieger's 61st birthday.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jason Robinson:
Ken,
So how high up on the dome would you go..I will be mounting a 2.5" tel-tru </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I stick mine right in the top vent. It has a clip on it that the shaft goes through, and I just clip it to one of the vent tabs. Therm goes about 2" into the vent.

I just mounted a 2.5 inch stem 3 inch diameter glow in the dark tel tru on the lid opposite the vent about equidistant to handle as the vent. I used the unibit #4 to drill the hole. Quite unexpectedly, I had some difficulty drilling the hole. I had to stabilize the lid against my car's tire. I think that was due in large part to the drill I was using. It's an old drill that didin't have much rpms and drilling power. So it wasn't cutting like butter. I took my time until I got a 7/8 inch hole. Tel tru sells a wahser and nut for $5.00 that fits the thermometer. So I used that. It is a very professional look. I recommend the 3 ich dial because it is very easy to read from a distance. I no longer had to walk up to the wsm and squint to get a reading. The wsm was located just outside a back window and I could see the temp without having to go outside. Also, the glow in the dark therm is a good feature becasue you can shine a flashlight on it and it lights up well.

Back