new smoker/new poster

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hello,

Recently after much consideration, I decided to retire my friend of 15+ years,my Brinkman Smoke n' Grill.Resolved to buy my first offset,I began looking around on-line.
I stumbled into this forum & began reading.
The more I read, the more I liked what I heard about the WSM.Long story short,I bought it instead,and think im going to be very happy I did.

I read here that the first few uses it 'runs hot',so I will use less(lump)charcoal,
and watch it a bit,is there anything else you would recommend during break-in of a WSM?
What about the botton vents?

Thanks,
Theo

Hi Theo
Glad to have you aboard yes your smoker will burn hotter for the first few times untill it gets a good coating of smoke and stuff on the inside.But that won't take long to do .As for the other i would go ahead and read in this site as to how the other guys and gals have regulated the bottom vents when they are cooking but it will just take practice and patience. the top vents will be left open all the time. have fun
biggrin.gif
JOE

Well,the ribs were the bomb,the brisket was good first half I cooked last week,& just as good second half today.I left the chicken on a little too long,but please allow me a 'beginners' mistake!(smoked some baked-beans too
smile.gif

As for the 'Minion Method',it rocks!(thanks jim)im tight fisted w/ my(lump)charcoal in the first place,today I filled the ring about 25%,added half a chimney,it was ready in 20 min. or less at 12:30pm (est.),the last of the food came off at 6:20,then a bunch of homegrown Habeneros,Jalapenos,& Thai peppers went on along with a big ole'chunk of hickory,a hand-ful of lump & a good stir....I closed the bottom down to 0,0,40,top wide open...will let it smoke all nite,finish off on dehydrator in morning if needs-be.

Overall, i liked it(WSM)very much.I can see virtually maintance-free cook-outs in the very near future.This is what i'm all about,
I like to put it on & forget it,
cookin,relaxin,sippin a home-brew,
watchin a ball-game.
I see real lazy-Q potential here.
Thanks again for all the 411.

Peace
Theo B.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back