Whole-deboned lemon "bbq" chicken

Jarrod S.

TVWBB Member
If you've never deboned a whole chicken you're missing out on one of the tastiest most luxurious chicken presentations, this recipe utilizes it's unique experience and delivery, fresh off the grill. I won't bother to describe the deboning process, it can be found online, I will comment that it;s much easier and natural than one may anticipate, and quite fun if you enjoy small time butchering or meat augmentations. There is an added bonus that's applicable to "q'ing" a boneless chicken in that it's much easier to cook as a roast (like a pork butt, but not nearly as long), and somewhat juicier without all of the bones, not to mention if formed right the only temp necessary is the breast, the thighs without the extra spacing and bones, cook perfectly in the meanwhile. Make sure you debone from the back side so that the chicken appears whole when formed breast side up.

Paste: (enough for one whole chicken)

1/4 C EVOO (I like bertolli)
1 t fresh lemon zest
2 T fresh squeezed lemon juice
1 T kosher salt
1/2 T fresh cracked black pepper
2 t fresh minced Rosemary
1 t fresh minced Thyme
1/2 t fresh minced Sage (optional)

1 large aluminum tinfoil bread loaf pan, or similar chicken sized snug aluminum disposable pan, w/ holes poked through the bottom to allow the grease to drain.

combine all and put in a large resealable ziplock bag with the deboned chicken, refridgerate 6-12 hrs, whatever's convenient for the cooking. Remove chicken and place in loaf pan.

Place a meat thermo in the breast until it hits the bottom temp, place in a 350-400 preheated smoker or indirect medium grill and cook until breast reaches 165-170, of course you can cook it slower in a smoker with added woods, I haven't experimented with suitable added smoke flavors, imo plain charcoal gives a tasty flavor as is and works for the 350-400 temp.

once chicken hits temp remove chicken and loosely tent with foil, let rest 14-18 min. then serve, it can be sliced like any other roast, garnish with fresh rosemary and lemon wedges, if you want to go over the top serve it over the mushroom bed recipe listed below:

Mushroom bed:

2 cups chopped onion
3 T oil or rendered chicken fat (you can save the chicken carvings from deboning for this)
1 lb (16oz) button mushrooms, cleaned and sliced thin
salt and pepper to taste
2 T parsley
1 egg
3 T matzo meal, I don't know if normal crackers would be suitable for this but it's minimal enough it may work (optional)

In a medium sautee pan cook the onions with the oil/lard until they are slightly caramelized and sweet, 18-23 min. Meanwhile prep the mushrooms, add the egg and parsley, mix together (may want to beat the egg, matzo, and parsley separately first). After the onions are ready add the mushroom mixture and cook an additional 10 min on medium heat or until the mushrooms release their moisture. Taste for salt and pepper. Slice the warm chicken or serve it whole over the mushroom bed, if sliced don't forget to pour the juices over both before serving.

enjoy!

Back