Nice Rack....as in Spices

Richard Craft

Totally re-did the spice rack...and am saving big bucks too!

My first video on TVWB...hope it works!

<span class="flash-video"><object codebase="http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=8,0,0,0"
classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000"
style="height: 390px; width: 640px"
><param name="allowScriptAccess"
value="never"
></param><param name="wmode"
value="transparent"
></param><param value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zHavHdxrxOA?version=3"
name="movie"
/><param value="true"
/><param value="always"
/><embed allowScriptAccess="never"
pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer"
type="application/x-shockwave-flash"
wmode="transparent"
height="390"
width="640"
src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zHavHdxrxOA?version=3"
/></object></span>

Very nice Rich, now please come to Wisconsin and fix mine. It's a mess. (warning: I have nearly twice what you have and half the space)

Very nicely done Richard!

Here's what mine currently looks like. I do try to keep it somewhat alphabetically, but my wife does not keep to the same plan.

Could use some order....
icon_wink.gif

very nice, I'm currently in the process of trying to figure out a way to redesign my spice rack. I have much less space but have an idea. I just need to figure out how to make it work.

Thanks for the post!

Very nice! I'm in desparate need of some organization in that area and this is a great idea.

Love your granite counters too.

I don't have photos to share, but I use half-pint canning jars labeled with a permanent marker.

The jars come a dozen to a box, and the boxes have dividers, so I just use the boxes for organization. I have 22 individual jars at this point, room for two more, and when I expand beyond 24 I'll buy another dozen half-pint jars in a box. Cost is somewhere under $10 for the dozen.

I get most of my spices from the "spice guy" at the local Farmer's Market, at $1 per heaping scoop ( about 2 scoops per half-pint jar ).

For heavier-use bulk spices ( whole black pepper, granulated garlic and onion, etc. ) I just buy the bulk quantity containers ( like Tone's ) at Sam's club or Restaurant Depot.

We have a shelf in our pantry dedicated to spices with a couple of lazy susans and some wire racks to help. But it's still a major MESS, inefficient and frustrating. I'm someday going to build a rotating rack modeled on the rotating electrical wire racks they use at the big box stores. Hanging shelves that rotate so we can see and get to everything without hassle.

Yeah, I'll sell them when I get it done -- but don't hold your breath.
icon_wink.gif

Rich

At a local home-show, I saw a system that I really liked, and would consider if we ever remodel our kitchen:

The cabinet maker created two slide-out spice racks - one on either side of the range hood.

They used a pair of long-throw, ball-bearing drawer glides. (like you'd find on a quality file cabinet.) Instead of using them on either side of a drawer or shelf, in the normal manner - they had one on the top, and one on the bottom. Each rack was only about 4 inches in width. The rack could slide-out the full depth of the cabinet.

It had three or four "shelves" that were open on both sides, with a rubber-coated wire "railing", that kept the jars from sliding off of the shelves when sliding it in and out.
This way, you could read the labels on both sides without need to "dig".

Rather than one on a side, if you had an available cabinet, you could sub-divide it into two or three, even four such racks.

Looks really good!

I have an easy and cheap way of holding my ordinary spices. Its sold by Ikea(I know).

It will fill any drawer for an ikea kitchen(witch i have). But it could be shortened with ease if the drawer is not deep enough.

Here is the LINK

And here it is fitted in my kitchen :

This is not my go to BBQ spices(wont show you that cabinet or you will get sea sick)

But its nice to have em all like this and in a drawer is an exellent place to keep em. Easy to get to and a fast overlook of what you have/dont have.

All my BBQ spices are in different cans/bags so i just put em all on a shelf(and i enjoy taking them out and mix/grind them up)

Tryed the "alphabetically" order in my drawer but when the kids play "Store" they empty the whole drawer and sell em for "Imagine" money and the 3 first times i thought to myself "they are just kids,nice to se them play"

The fourth time i skipped the alphabetically order.

Originally posted by Ron G.:
At a local home-show, I saw a system that I really liked, and would consider if we ever remodel our kitchen:

The cabinet maker created two slide-out spice racks - one on either side of the range hood.

They used a pair of long-throw, ball-bearing drawer glides. (like you'd find on a quality file cabinet.) Instead of using them on either side of a drawer or shelf, in the normal manner - they had one on the top, and one on the bottom. Each rack was only about 4 inches in width. The rack could slide-out the full depth of the cabinet.

It had three or four "shelves" that were open on both sides, with a rubber-coated wire "railing", that kept the jars from sliding off of the shelves when sliding it in and out.
This way, you could read the labels on both sides without need to "dig".

Rather than one on a side, if you had an available cabinet, you could sub-divide it into two or three, even four such racks.

This is an even better idea, Ron. THANKS! This is similar to the sliding CD racks we have on the outside ends of our entertainment unit. Gave me the first rational way to manage about 1000 CDs. For that 18" high pantry shelf that is also 18" deep and 3 feet wide, this will give me lots of room to layer and view the spices.

Rich

If you're handy with carpentry and basic metal-working you could probably do the following:

Find an old, steel, 3-drawer filing cabinet (Craigslist or local classifieds / thrift-store - the drawer fronts and cabinet can be scratched-up / dented - you are just looking to "salvage" the drawer slides.) The oldish ones (1950's & 60's) tend to have heavy-duty, metal ball-bearing slides, that are thin, provide full-extension, and are designed to support a fairly good amount of weight (as in a full file drawer). These slides are also nice and thin - you would only loose about 1/2 to 1/4-inch at the top and bottom.

Then, if this is in a pantry, the end-panels that you will see when the sliding units are pushed in could be simple vertical rectangles, with a simple handle.

If you're going for the "built-in" look, you could section an existing cabinet door carefully, with a thin/narrow-kerf saw blade, or fabricate a new one to match your existing cabinet fronts.
(Instead of a swing-out door, you would have a door sub-divided into three or so vertical panels that pull-out and push-in.)

Originally posted by Ron G.:
If you're handy with carpentry and basic metal-working you could probably do the following:

Find an old, steel, 3-drawer filing cabinet (Craigslist or local classifieds / thrift-store - the drawer fronts and cabinet can be scratched-up / dented - you are just looking to "salvage" the drawer slides.) The oldish ones (1950's & 60's) tend to have heavy-duty, metal ball-bearing slides, that are thin, provide full-extension, and are designed to support a fairly good amount of weight (as in a full file drawer). These slides are also nice and thin - you would only loose about 1/2 to 1/4-inch at the top and bottom.

Then, if this is in a pantry, the end-panels that you will see when the sliding units are pushed in could be simple vertical rectangles, with a simple handle.

If you're going for the "built-in" look, you could section an existing cabinet door carefully, with a thin/narrow-kerf saw blade, or fabricate a new one to match your existing cabinet fronts.
(Instead of a swing-out door, you would have a door sub-divided into three or so vertical panels that pull-out and push-in.)

That's just what I had in mind as far as the rack/shelves/doors. Thanks for the tip on the old file cabinets -- I know just what you mean.

Rich

Back