No new Smokey Joe colors for 2009

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
Last year Weber sold a copper-colored Smokey Joe at Linens N Things. It's been seen alongside a robin's egg blue SJ at European trade shows.

So I open the Weber 2009 product catalog today and see...black, black, black. No new colors.

What's up with that?

Chris

although weber has gone forwards in some aspects, they seem to have decided that the u.s. isn't worth it to go color. really is an insult in a lot of ways.

I'd love to see a robin egg blue or 60's avocado green kettle and SJ. I just like that retro looking stuff.

I wonder if the problem here in the US is lack of mass desire. We all know Weber is worth the little extra, but what % of the population is going to pay $35-40 for a colored SJ over $25-30 for a black one, or even $10-20 for a cheapie knock-off. It's the disposable mentality.

i agree... 99% of the folks buying a smokey joe just want the cheapest thing possible..

if youre looking for the green, my wife just grabbed me an Avocado Joe at the crate and barrel outlet store on clearance... win/win/win
icon_smile.gif
so there are green joes still out there...

from a manufacturing standpoint it could come from any number of dozens of things:
the different colored paints could be more expensive themselves (due to the lower useage)or the other colored paints could add extra process steps or it could even be involved in the processes needed to switch to/from the different paint colors,etc,etc,etc....
these are just guesses, but if it were as simple as "it costs the same" (and folks would buy em) then weber would be doing it already...

Back