Another Thermometer Question

G

Why not just drop the thermometer into one of the vent holes. The face would essentially rest on the top of the vent. Or, would the temp of the cooker's surface throw off the thermometer?

Nate

At WalMart and many other places you can buy a turkey fryer thermometer that is about 9-inches long. It reads from 100 to 500 F. It also comes with a clip that can be attached to the WSM lid handle. The probe will go into the vent hole about 5-inches at a slight angle, avoiding food on the top rack.

You can also purchase Trend bi-metal thermometers that will attach in the same way. That's what I'm using.

Thermometer Attach #1

Thermometer Attach #2

Thermometer Attach #3

Thermometer Attach #4

Rusty

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rusty Barton:
At WalMart and many other places you can buy a turkey fryer thermometer that is about 9-inches long. It reads from 100 to 500 F. It also comes with a clip that can be attached to the WSM lid handle. The probe will go into the vent hole about 5-inches at a slight angle, avoiding food on the top rack.

You can also purchase Trend bi-metal thermometers that will attach in the same way. That's what I'm using.

Thermometer Attach #1

Thermometer Attach #2

Thermometer Attach #3

Thermometer Attach #4

Rusty </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just saw that thermometer at Wal Mart for 5 bucks and didn't get it thinking it was too long. Now that I see how you did it I think I will pick it up. I like how it keeps the top vent more or less unobstructed.

Nice work!

bought this thermometer from Wal-Mart. It’s made by Grill Care. It screws perfectly in one of the top vent eyes. I think I paid around $6 for it. So far, it works very well.

Back