Turkey on Rotisserie

Richard L

My wife and I brined a turkey over night and then cooked it on a rotisserie over charcoal on our Performer. This was our first time with a turkey on a rotisserie, having done roasting hens but never a turkey. The experience was less than gratifying. Unlike roasting hens, the body of a turkey is so large that the prongs can’t be inserted easily or in a manner in which results in a balanced load on the rotisserie motor. The turkey turned out fine, taste and flavor were great, but we want to be able to use the rotisserie in the future with turkeys without all the aggravation we had with this one. What did we do wrong? Can you buy larger prongs?
In the past we have always cooked turkeys using our plate which we use for low and slow cooking, the results have always been great, but we want to be able to use the rotisserie more.

How big was the turkey? I've done several 12-14 lb turkeys since I got a roti for my OTG in November. I've never had a problem getting them balanced. I tie them up so the legs and wings don't flop around and all is good.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steven P (Tupelo):
How big was the turkey? I've done several 12-14 lb turkeys since I got a roti for my OTG in November. I've never had a problem getting them balanced. I tie them up so the legs and wings don't flop around and all is good. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It was around the same size. I believe my problem was not having the turkey tied up sufficiently. I had no butchers twine and was making do with what I had. I had problems inserting the forks sufficiently to hold the bird, out of the four prongs on each fork, only two may have been inserted solidly. I want to try another bird soon and will spend more time tying it up. I do appreciate your reply, always good to hear what others do.

Back