Trimming a Beef Brisket

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I know I have posted about the joys of beef brisket before but being a newbie at cooking the darn things (ribs I can handle but brisket is a different animal, literally) I want to make sure I don't screw things up.

When trimming the fat from the brisket I have been intructed by Weber Dave and Jim M to leave a 'cap' of fat about 1/8-1/4 of an inch on the brisket (guessing for the wonderful moisturizing). My question and it may seem kinda stupid is - Do I leave this much fat all the way around the brisket or just on one side? I seem to recall on the Midnight cook Chris posted about he mentioned cooking with the fat side up first so this leads me to think it is just on one side. Is this correct?

Buckeye Dave

A whole, untrimmed brisket will have one side that is completely covered with a thick layer of fat, and the other side that has virtually no fat. Trim the fat side to 1/8-1/4". Optionally, you can trim out some of the large pockets of fat that occur between the flat and point sections of the brisket. I also trim down the fat that sort of wraps over the edge of the brisket in places. Season with rub and begin cooking fat side up.

Regards,
ChrisA

Thanks Chris. Hopefully going to get a chance to cook one next weekend and don't want to totally screw up!

Buckeye Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back