Upgrading the OTS to an OTG-plus (the OTIS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eric Aarseth

TVWBB Super Fan
Motivated by Rich Langer and his success at this conversion as well as the parts list that he posted [<span class="ev_code_BLUE">I've searched and searched and can't find those posts</span>], I took advantage of the Weber free shipping, ordered the parts and converted by OTS to a one-touch improved silver (aka the OTIS).

Slideshow of Upgrade

Ash catcher: Right now, the only thing I may improve is cutting a small slot into the three legs to match the slot in the leg bracket (attached to kettle) so that the ash ring (bracket) tabs are held by more than the thickness of the leg bracket.

Other upgrades:

(1) Lump mod - added a second charcoal grate to help prevent the smaller pieces of lump from falling through.

(2) Charcoal/Lump baskets - I used the charcoal rails, but with the crisscross of the double charcoal grate they don't lock in as they do with a single grate.

(3) SS 22 1/2" hinged grate - I made the regular grate work, even during indirect cooking, but the hinged grate will make it much easier, faster and less of a balancing act to add fuel or smoke wood.

Chris, as requested by Rich, maybe you could include this modification in the "Operating Tips and Mods" section. If you do, I nominate two name options: "the Langer Mod" or "the OTIS".

Eric, I am interested in the ash catcher mod for my OTS (date code DO). What were the part numbers for the ash catcher pieces?

Nice looking mod, BTW,
Kevin

I have a OTS, Then had to have a blue one so got the gold. I like the ash catcher...may have to convert the silver. I do have the jinged grates on the silver though. I looked for the ash catch everywhere....no go. I believe you have to get from weber customer servc?

Thanks for the link Rich. It looks from Eric's pics that it is a simple drop in replacement; does anyone know if there are there any odd model years that don't line up so smoothly?

Gary, same thing happened to me! I just happy with my OTS until, I was given a well-worn red Master-Touch. Now, I can't stand the ash catcher on my OTS anymore
icon_smile.gif

Ray, I don't think I'm following. Are you speaking of pre one-touch?

And by the way, I ran into zero problems with the ash catcher mod. Was 'too' easy
icon_biggrin.gif

Kevin

Brad,

I just ordered one Tuesday and got it yesterday. Cost for the parts about about $30.00 + $7.00 s/h. The ash ring was about $14.75 and the pan with the handle was $14.60. If you have an older (pre 2000) 22.5" you'll need an ash catcher bar and it's $1.75. The part numbers are all on the weber website under support and then diagrams. Hope this helps.

I think I prefer the non-ash catcher OTS over the ash-catcher on the OTG because it's much easier to see where the vents are by just looking.

If you want a bigger ash-catcher, why not just use the clay-pot method discussed elsewhere?

The hinge is a must.

Do they sell the lid with the built-in thermometer separately?

Hmm - it seems they likely do if you look at the Master Touch they have the part numbers. I wonder if I can order a green bowl and a green lid and then just make my extra OTS into a green FrankenTouch
icon_smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back