Mosquito repellent

G

Anyone have a suggestion for keeping mosquito's away from your cooking area? I don't like spraying yard foggers near the cooker.

Thank you,
Stoli

Citronella candles or the fogger seam like the quick fix. I read somewhere the other day that basil would keep mosquitos at bay, I guess it meant live plants. They are bad here to, hope someone chimes in with a new one for me to try also.

Stop showering and work outside alot. In about 7 to 10 days the mosquitos will leave you alone. The flys are another problem.
icon_wink.gif

You don't need to fog the entire area, only the area affected which is you. I use a Cutter product with DEET. A few sprays on my arms, legs, etc. and it works very well.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Paul K:
You don't need to fog the entire area, only the area affected which is you. I use a Cutter product with DEET. A few sprays on my arms, legs, etc. and it works very well. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree.

BTW, when I was down in Texas, I saw lots of clear plastic bags filled with water hanging in the outdoor restaurants. We asked what they were for, and were told they kept the skeeters away(or was it flies?). Never seen that here in North Carolina. I can't imagine how or why it would work.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I saw lots of clear plastic bags filled with water hanging in the outdoor restaurants. We asked what they were for, and were told they kept the skeeters away(or was it flies?). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Those are for flys....Don't know if they really work. Other than a screened porch or sub-zero temps, I don't know what keeps flys away!

The most common breeding area for flys is fresh moist animal droppings. If you have a dog or other pet... clean up. If you keep larger animals... see your county ag agent for help.

Mosquitos breed in standing water including holes in tree trunks. Dry it out or add mosquito fish to any pools.

I've had considerable success with a product called "Mosquito Dunks"

http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/group/11893/product.web

Put them in upright wheelbarrows, buckets, low-areas that collect water, ponds, fountains, etc. It's called "BT" and it floats around on the water and mosquito larvae eat it, killing them.

So it's not a repellent so much as mosquito control. If you have lots of standing water and/or black flies, you will see noticeable results in a matter of days.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Paul K:
You don't need to fog the entire area, only the area affected which is you. I use a Cutter product with DEET. A few sprays on my arms, legs, etc. and it works very well. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree.

BTW, when I was down in Texas, I saw lots of clear plastic bags filled with water hanging in the outdoor restaurants. We asked what they were for, and were told they kept the skeeters away(or was it flies?). Never seen that here in North Carolina. I can't imagine how or why it would work.

Flies. We saw this down in the jungles of Mexico. The problem is it only works when the sun is out. The sunlight hurts their multifaceted eyes. We've even tried it at home.

Back