Foodsaver #2830

Steve Petrone

TVWBB Diamond Member
Thanks Keri for the discount code.

Mine came in and today I packed 10 1 lb. pkgs of pulled pork. I should have 10 more tonight. This is easy to use, just follow directions. Be sure to seal when the vac starts pulling any licquid up....

I am very impressed with this tool. I wanted one for a long time. The professional heavy duty machines must have their place but for most home use this is a fine solution to many of our packaging needs.

If you are trying to decide...I say this is a great value for $60. Mine was $74 'cause I ordered by phone but I got three more free rolls.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve Petrone:
Be sure to seal when the vac starts pulling any licquid up.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Steve, Please tell me that the 2830 has the removable liquid tray (easy to clean it) in the machine? My first one didn't have that but my current one does. If it has the liquid tray where you put the open end of the bag in, then no worries on sucking liquid into the vac pump.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve Petrone:
It does have the removable tray. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And it sucks from the top! The tray is very different on this one than my old one. It has a rubrrer 'hood' on the tray that I guess is supposed to direct the vacuum and maybe any moisture into the tray.

So I gather the moral of the story is to hit the seal button as soon as the liquid makes its move. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Steve, Never had any issues (no bad seals) with the liquid going where the seal will be. The liquid tray on the newer sealers solved the problem of liquid being sucked into the vac pump and thus killing the sealer, that's what happened to my first Foodsaver.

Steve, I used the new one today and tried a wet seal with it. It didn't seal the bag at all like my old one does, so just a heads up for you. The new one is great, love the fact I don't have to run the vac pump just to make a bag. I really like the vac channel as well. Overall, I like the new one over my old V1080.

Thanks for the reviews and the code, folks. I'll be ordering one of these. I love the price and it has become a necessary addition.
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bryan S:
Steve, I used the new one today and tried a wet seal with it. It didn't seal the bag at all like my old one does, so just a heads up for you. The new one is great, love the fact I don't have to run the vac pump just to make a bag. I really like the vac channel as well. Overall, I like the new one over my old V1080. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Does this mean it did or didn't seal a wet bag?
icon_confused.gif

Bill

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill Hays:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bryan S:
Steve, I used the new one today and tried a wet seal with it. It didn't seal the bag at all like my old one does, so just a heads up for you. The new one is great, love the fact I don't have to run the vac pump just to make a bag. I really like the vac channel as well. Overall, I like the new one over my old V1080. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
icon_confused.gif

Bill </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
OMG!!! It clearly says "IT DIDN'T SEAL THE BAG AT ALL LIKE MY OLD ONE DOES". What's to be confused about Bill?????????????? I don't get it
icon_confused.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill Hays:
icon_confused.gif

Bill </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
OMG!!! It clearly says "IT DIDN'T SEAL THE BAG AT ALL LIKE MY OLD ONE DOES". What's to be confused about Bill?????????????? I don't get it
icon_confused.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I don't know how your old one seals, Bryan. You do but I don't. Sooooo ...... When you say, "IT DIDN'T SEAL THE BAG AT ALL LIKE MY OLD ONE DOES". Does that mean it sealed a wet bag or does that mean it didn't seal a wet bag? Come on, Bryan...
icon_rolleyes.gif

Bill

icon_confused.gif

Bill </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
icon_confused.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I don't know how your old one seals, Bryan. You do but I don't. Sooooo ...... When you say, "IT DIDN'T SEAL THE BAG AT ALL LIKE MY OLD ONE DOES". Does that mean it sealed a wet bag or does that mean it didn't seal a wet bag? Come on, Bryan...
icon_rolleyes.gif

Bill </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I'm guessing that what I meant by it didn't seal the bag at all, means it didn't seal the bag.
icon_wink.gif
Don't know what else to say.

icon_confused.gif

Bill </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
icon_confused.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
icon_rolleyes.gif

Bill </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I'm guessing that what I meant by it didn't seal the bag at all, means it didn't seal the bag.
icon_wink.gif
Don't know what else to say. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Thanks, Bryan.

I have had good luck folding a paper towel and putting in accross the inside of the bag, about an inch or so from the seal line. I fold it so that it is about an inch wide. If there is a little liquid or juice, it is soaked up by the paper towel, and the seal is complete before it gets past this barrier. Been doing this about a year and haven't had any problems. Anyone else tried this?

OK... I have a related question. Just used mine for the first time last week and then tried to re-heat a bag containing some chicken thighs in simmering water (per the DVD). During the re-heat process the bag broke open at the bottom seal and everything slid into the water. What did I do wrong?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom P.:
OK... I have a related question. Just used mine for the first time last week and then tried to re-heat a bag containing some chicken thighs in simmering water (per the DVD). During the re-heat process the bag broke open at the bottom seal and everything slid into the water. What did I do wrong? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Tom, sounds like you didn't get a complete seal as you prob already know this. I'm guessing that there might have been some moisture where the seal was. On my old one I could adjust the seal time. Looking at the 2830 seems if you choose the moist food vac/seal option, this gives a longer melt time on the seal. My old sealer really melted the bag when it sealed. This new one doesn't seem to get as hot. I'll find out here soon. I just vac sealed up 2 quarts of homemade kraut and shipped it off to Mom and Dad in AZ yesterday. Yes I'm a little worried about the bags coming un-done in transit.
icon_frown.gif

Back