New Summit grill owner

G

Summit C4 actually. I have to say that I am very impressed with the fit and finish of this item. Assembled it in about an hour with a little help from the Mrs. and son. A single band-aid job at that. Watch the corners of that bottom shelf! The unit is extremely rigid with just 6 bolts. Very nicely designed.

Last night's stuffed pork chops were a gimmee. Slightly over cooked on account of darkness.

This afternoon's spare ribs are finishing up nicely. It's been 3.5 hours and I just bumped up the heat to finish them off, time to eat.
icon_smile.gif

Using an oven thermometer I've determined I can hold a steady 200 deg at the grill by using just the right hand burner at about half setting. The hood thermometer reads 25 deg higher.

I ran 2 loads of soaked chips, one at start and one an hour in. I need to work with the smoker box. I seems to light the chips and burn them right up in short order. I may have to resort to cycling the chip burner on and off to get closer to a long light smoke.

At any rate the ribs look great.

I'd appreciate any tips about using the smoker box. It's the single feature that nudged me towards this grill purchase (defecting from charcoal indirect cooking at the risk of our marriage).
icon_wink.gif

I too have a Summit C4. I soak my chips for two hours and for a long cook I use the smoker burner at it's lowest setting.

Terry, forget the chips. You can use chunks in the Summit box. I have a D6 and pull out the smaller chuncks for my wood bag for grilling. I use the large chunks for smoking in the WSM. The big problem with the gasser is the loss of smoke. The design of a grill is not as air tight as a smoker since that it was it is specifically designed for.

Please note that the chunks will also burn off if you leave the heat on high. Just start them off on high to get them going then drop the heat down low. If adding mid cook, the steel smoker bar is hot enough to leave on low and the newly added wood will smolder nicely on its own.

Back