Griddle for Q220

Sheldon Koehler

TVWBB Super Fan
I am looking at the Weber griddle for my Q220 and in reading the reviews, there seems to be a question of low temperatures. It seems they do not get very hot.

Any advice on this? I use a single burner portable butane stove for when I want to cook outside our RV on my 12" cast iron pan. I would like to cook hotcakes and french toast on the Q.

George, you are right. There are a couple on temp though.

What I am wondering is should I get the Weber griddle or the Lodge?

I have a Q220 and a Weber 6505 griddle (I'm actually on my 2nd griddle as I lost the first).

I also have and use butane gas stoves outside.

The griddle has to be smaller than the grate in order for the propane combustion to have enough airflow. It cannot cover the whole grate or it might force heated air downward through the bottom.

My issue with the griddle is that I generally have quite a bit of charred bits from previous cooking that are on the grate and the bottom bowl of the grill. These cause a smoke that is not very good with breakfast foods like french toast.

Yes, I could do a thorough cleaning of the grill. I do that once in a while. But for everyday use, I don't use it as a flat top cooking surface. It is better used as a heat sink for cooking larger items, like bone-in chicken parts.

If you fill the griddle with raw bacon, the bacon grease will render and overflow the rim. My solution is to continually sop up the grease with paper towels as the bacon cooks, but this is slow and inefficient.

What lodge griddle are you also considering?

That makes sense on the griddle size Darrel.

I am in the habit of pre-heating long enough to burn anything off. This helps get the grill hot for those sear marks!

I am not sure what griddle I want. I have the Weber 6505, Lodge LPGI3 Pro and Lodge Double Play Reversible on my Amazon wish list. I am off camping again this weekend with no griddle... but I have my 12" cast iron pan and my butane burner as usual.

Back