Makin Bacon

I finally finished my first batch of Bacon. I had a few setbacks but it came out good. The first problem I had was when I ordered my pork belly from a Hispanic market it came with all of the meat trimmed off. They use it for Chichirones or pork skins (cracklins) not to good for making bacon. I finally talked with a local butcher and he knew exactly what it needed. Here is the 16lb belly that cut into 3 sections of a little over 5lbs each
Makin%20Bacon
After brining for 3 day in a solution of salt,sugar,pickling spice and prauge powder #1 it came out for a day of drying. I used a coathanger and formed some "S" hooks and poked them into the meat
Makin%20Bacon

Then I hung it in the fridge to dry for a day.
Makin%20Bacon

The next day was smoking day. I used the Smokenator and the Minon method with some hickory chunks. Oh that is snow in the background so I guess I was kind of "Cold Smoking"
icon_smile.gif
Makin%20Bacon

After an two hour the temp hit 150 degrees and it was ready to pull off. I cooled it using a wire rack and a snowy shelf to keep it above the snow.
Makin%20Bacon

After it cooled I used an aquired meat slicer on the recommondation from Dave in Denver and made some nice 1/4" slices. The rest is history.
Makin%20Bacon
I froze one of the remaining pieces of belly and started another batch of Maple Bacon using a dry cure method and I should be smoking that one on Sunday.

Thanks for everyone who helped me with my posts and made this an enjoyable experience

Very nice Bill!

I'm needing to do some but have not been at either home long enough for the process.
icon_frown.gif

Looks great.

I cannot seem to keep bacon in my freezer... it just disappears somehow.

Time to do some more. Hope it looks as good as yours.

Ron

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ron... L.:
Looks great.

I cannot seem to keep bacon in my freezer... it just disappears somehow.

Time to do some more. Hope it looks as good as yours.

Ron </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Looks great Bill!

Ron: Where do you get your belly around here? Been wanting to try this.

I get belly at an Asian/Hispanic market in Centreville Square called Grand Mart. It borders route 29 and is about 1/2 mile west of route 28
(5900 Centreville Crest Ln
Centreville, Virginia 20121
(703) 266-2220).

They used to have a meat counter but closed it off with a display cooler. Right at the end of the cooler is a door to the meat prep area and I just bang on that and ask for a whole pork belly. Gestures seem to help here.

I believe they get them from multiple sources because sometimes they come with skin on... but usually they are already skinned.

Also a good place to get lobsters as they occasionally have pretty low prices on them.

I haven't done one in awhile, but they also carry full packer briskets... which (for me) are a little hard to find around here.

Another place I've gotten belly is at Super G (another Asian Market) in Fairfax... but that is farther from you.

Let me know how you make out.

Ron

Thanks Ron. Grand Mart used to be Shoppers, if I'm not mistaken, correct? (used to live in the apartments on the other side of 29 from there)

Is the Super G in Fairfax Circle?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JimK:
Is the Super G in Fairfax Circle? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, the old Shoppers.

I'm an idiot. Super G is a ski race and it's hard to find good pork belly there. The store is Super H and is at 10780 Lee Hwy
Fairfax, VA 22030. The last belly I got there was marginally better than what you'd expect to find at the ski race.

R

Back