Hi From Texas! My first post! Some questions

marty ilacqua

I am now in the market for a propane grill and in my quest stumbled upon this forum. It is obvious I have come to the right place with people like Hartcher from Down Under (I think) and, well, suffice it to say lots of experts here and I am sure I will learn a lot. I have already learned a great deal by reading many of the more recent threads. My research has me pointing to a Weber, specifically the Genesis E-310. Size, price point, reputation, etc., etc. looked like it was tailor made to my needs and convinced me this was probably the grill for me. After reading here, I am now certain of it. I was leaning towards the 320 but felt I would never use the side burner enough to justify it. Besides, while I'm outside I want HER inside doing the stove thing. I can then drink my beer while grilling in peace!

A few questions remain. I have read all your opinions about steel "flavor" bars, steel grates, the coated cast iron and the various differences between the EP model and the E model. I'm not sure if this is allowed on this forum but my local high end store has the EP for $800 and includes assembly; the hardware store can get the EP for $700, no assembly; the big box hardware store has the E for $650 and the department store has the E for $670 and comes fully assembled.

So, there I am. I am pretty sure I'll go with the E assembled as the steel, although attractive, is not a big deal with me. Also, although I do not know much about this stuff I have to think that common sense will say the cast iron would retain heat faster and longer than stainless. I could be wrong I suppose but I would bet a few buck anyway that I'm not.

The questions specifically are: are the prices I found locally on the mark? Does Weber discount their grills like other manufacturers towards the end of the year? Although I can assemble I imagine it is worth the extra $20 for them to do it. Is the cast iron/stainless issue really one of personal preference as I am lead to believe, or are there proven and specific pros and cons? Do these cast iron grates have to be "seasoned" such as you would a skillet or does the coating act to prevent the actual oil and seasonings to be absorbed?

Finally, I like to smoke but I read here (or somewhere) that the 310 is really not made for smoking but by putting soaked chips in foil with holes on the flavorizor bars you can do as well as you would with a box on the grate. Is there a better way to smoke on this grill?

Well, if anyone would be so kind as to respond to one or some of my questions I would appreciate it. If all goes well and you all don't talk me out of it, I'll probably order the E310 on Friday or Saturday.

Hey Marty
I hav ethe old version of the grill your talking about. I just switched to cast iron grates a while back and love them. They retain heat so well .No need to season them if they are porcelain coated. Just wipoe with oil and have fun.
Aluminum foil smoke pouches are your friend on this one for smoking.
I would say do not under estimate a side burner. Lots of things that you cant think of now you'll use it for. Weber doesn't make an add on burner kit for these grills.
As far as smoking goes research the high temp cooks for pb and brisket they do work well and that would help with the lower temp problem.
I've never seen a Weber on sale..

Good luck on your decision
Jeff

Marty
G'day Mate

My thoughts on SS versus PCI (porcelain coated cast iron)
The 7 mm SS rods will retain the heat and give just as good searing as the PCI. The SS will last longer and is easier to clean. The SS flavourizer bars will definitely last longer and are a more cost effective long-term investment.
As for the assembling of it, when I assembled mine I took my time to ensure that I only needed to do it once and do it properly it took me over an hour and a half. (I know my way around tools maintenance instructions and assembly of equipment)
One hint is to make sure the locking wheels are to the front on each end so that the lock can be easily applied/released without having to try and get behind the BBQ. My recommendation is to have it assembled especially if you have a busy lifestyle (don’t we all)

The side burner is extremely useful, there are many types of dishes that you can do on it which will keep the smell of them out of the house.(fish, curries, etc.) As your experience level increases you will want to do more with your BBQ and one of those things will be dishes on the side burner. For the few extra bucks it is worth it. Don't forget this BBQ is going to last you a long, long time. The main reason most people replace a Weber gasser is because they want to upgrade to the latest and greatest.
You should also consider a rotis for the BBQ.

Whichever model you select you won't be disappointed in the Genesis, I know because I own one (E 320).

I should add Marty, that you will end up with a Performer and a WSM at the very least as you progress through the various phases of this facinating obsession.

Regards

Oh yea, the Performer would be great if I were not so lazy. There is nothing like real charcoal, especially with some hickory chips thrown in for good but subtle smoke flavor. Hickory compliments charcoal like no other wood I've tried because it really does not compete with the charcoal, just enhances it a bit. But like I said, I'm getting lazy now as I near 60 years old and when I come in from a brutal, bloody, death defying round of golf I just want to hear my two favorite sounds in the world - click and pop - click on the burner and pop open the beer.

What Jeff? You have never seen a Weber on sale? Wow. I guess when you build a superior product you have that luxury. But you know what, that's almost unAmerican. Everyone knows you probably are paying something for the Weber name as it is and I have no problem with that as they earned it over many, many years. But in today's world you got to have sales now and then. Everyone has sales - that is the American way. I don't know why Weber should be excluded but from what you say, I guess they are. The only deal I've seen lately is one merchant offering two propane tank exchanges for buying any grill over $199, including Weber. Another was offering gift cards in various amounts depending on the cost of the grill, however, Weber was excluded. Hum? Come to think about it, I wonder how really good those Holland grills are that I've been reading about lately?

Thank you Mr. Hartcher, I was hoping you would chime in. I respect your opinion and will consider it highly. I will go back to the drawing board and start rethinking my needs.

After reading your post I checked the price of replacement SS grates and flavorizer bars. It looks like it will cost about $130 or so shipped so if I really want them I am better off getting the EP model. I probably won't fool with the roto right now since I have a big one in the kitchen but a grill roto could be something in the future. I don't think I can go wrong as long as it is a Weber and as long as it is a Genesis. Speaking of that, today I saw an old (but brand new) Weber I never even heard of before - a Genesis B or something like that. It even came with a tank but it was sort of an old style. The price seemed good at $329 since it was a Genesis but it looked like it must be old technology. Decisions, decisions - I guess that is part of the fun!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by marty ilacqua:
Oh yea, the Performer would be great if I were not so lazy. There is nothing like real charcoal, especially with some hickory chips thrown in for good but subtle smoke flavor. Hickory compliments charcoal like no other wood I've tried because it really does not compete with the charcoal, just enhances it a bit. But like I said, I'm getting lazy now as I near 60 years old and when I come in from a brutal, bloody, death defying round of golf I just want to hear my two favorite sounds in the world - click and pop - click on the burner and pop open the beer.

What Jeff? You have never seen a Weber on sale? Wow. I guess when you build a superior product you have that luxury. But you know what, that's almost unAmerican. Everyone knows you probably are paying something for the Weber name as it is and I have no problem with that as they earned it over many, many years. But in today's world you got to have sales now and then. Everyone has sales - that is the American way. I don't know why Weber should be excluded but from what you say, I guess they are. The only deal I've seen lately is one merchant offering two propane tank exchanges for buying any grill over $199, including Weber. Another was offering gift cards in various amounts depending on the cost of the grill, however, Weber was excluded. Hum? Come to think about it, I wonder how really good those Holland grills are that I've been reading about lately? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

With all due respect.....I doubt you are lazier than I am...and I hate to get my hands dirty...however...I thouroughly enjoy prepping the performer bare handed for it's next performance...LOL. It really is easy and with the one touch cleaning system and the gas lighting I can't ever imagine using "sewer gas" to cook again.

I have the EP-320, and have the 7mm SS grates. They are ... ok, but I'm not terribly impressed with them. When heated up they sear pretty good, but I personally feel they don't retain the heat as well as cast iron. I am actually thinking about replacing them with the PCi grates but we'll see.

We'll see. I'll do one more thick cut steak, and if the second side doesn't come out like I like (with sme adjustments) I'll replace them.

What do you all think about that Genesis B I saw on display at a local Ace Hardware? It has an open cabinet and comes with a propane tank. I looked on the internet and they don't sell this anymore (it looks "old" although it is brand new). I can't tell what year it is but I think Weber made this model from 2001 to 2005 or so and I've seen some pictures where they made it with enclosed cabinet. I believe the price was something like $329 assembled (plus, I think I can get 10% off one day a week using my Ace card along with senior citizen status). Are the new Genesis grills that much better?

Marty
The short answer is Yes the new ones are much better. The enclosed cabinet was one of the driving factors for the model replacement. The new ignition system is electronic not peizo. The drip tray system is much better and user friendly. The SS side table is better than the old thermoplastic style. As I said in my previous post, most people only change over their Weber Gasser for the latest and gratest. Get the most up-to-date model now.The dollars only hurt for a short time whilst the enjoyment lasts forever.

My E320 costs AUD$1500.00 in Australia.

Regards

Phil

Joe, are you placing the second side of your steaks in the same spot on the grate as you seared the first side? It's good policy to sear the second side on another, clean area of the grate that didn't have food on it. It should be hotter.

My 2¢
Rita

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rita Y:
Joe, are you placing the second side of your steaks in the same spot on the grate as you seared the first side? It's good policy to sear the second side on another, clean area of the grate that didn't have food on it. It should be hotter.

My 2¢
Rita </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rita,
What an excellent idea. I never thought of doing that before. I have no complaints regarding the SS grates on my EP-320. In fact, I think they stay plenty hot, but I like your idea. Every bit helps.
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rita Y:

My 2¢
Rita </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Nope. I always move it to a different spot.
icon_smile.gif

Maybe I'm just so used to coals where it never really loses heat when the coals are truly hot. I don't expect that type of sear obviously, but a bit better than what I'm getting. I'll keep tinkering.

Well, as promised I've done some rethinking about a lot of things, primarily my needs, thanks to all of your input. Although as some of you have said, charcoal is indeed hard to beat but for this grill I think I will go with LP.

You know, after really analyzing my needs I am wondering if I even need a Genesis. No doubt they are great grills but they are big. There are just two of us in the house and for the most part we cook a couple burgers or steaks, maybe a slab of salmon and a few skewers of shiskabob now and then and that's it. Once in a blue moon we may grill burgers for a dozen people, never more. The more I think of my needs the more I realize the Genesis would be overkill. Only one thing is certain, I will buy a Weber.

I have started to research the smaller Weber grills and the reviews of the Q320 have been just as glowing as the Genesis, perhaps even more so. I have read a few threads here and experts such as Mr. Hartcher seem to think this grill will stand right up along the more costly, bigger Webers.

Can someone tell me what I would gain by buying the Genesis over the 320, besides the obvious extra cooking space? And what are the real attributes and selling points of the 320? Besides saving a few hundred bucks, is assembly easier, is it portable, can you smoke in it as well, does it sear meat as well, can you control temperature precisely, how about indirect cooking on such a limited space, etc.? Thanks again to all that responded. Oh, one more thing, I've read some say the grates are straight cast iron and others have said they are coated. Which is it?

You betchya!! The Q series Grill is all you need for 2 people for a slap on quick feed.

I've had my little Q120 for 2 years now and use it about 4 days a week and it's been fantastic. It'll cook food for up to 4 people comfortably so even the small one is very handy and very portable.Put it in the back of your car and take it on picnics etc.

Before I bought mine,I was somewhat skeptical about if I would enjoy cooking on such a small grill but after I set it up at home, I can't keep away from it.The flavour is awesome!!
As with all the Q series,they are meant to grill with the lid down for best results.

I would suggest that you may be best to go bigger than I did, and Phil Hartcher highly recommends the Q220 as it has a higher lid for roasting uses as well as the temp guage built in the lid.A great allrounder.

I wouldn't go overkill and get the Q300 series unless you plan on doing big cook-ups as I see it as wasting valueable gas if you don't need such a big machine....

Just my 2 cents worth..hope it helps you with your decision.

Cheers

Davo

Thanks Davo, I will go to the stores next week and take a look at the different Q models to get an idea of their size. I have seen the Spirit and the I think I read that the larger Qs are about that size, which seems fine for me. One thing I have determined is that my original choice, the Genesis, is too big. I think the large Q has several features besides the tall lid that the smaller ones do not, like a stand and some sort of special lighter system. I don't plan on mobility so that is not a factor. I will check them out and see what features I want.

I have read some more older threads here and the Q series grills are very well represented. The indirect cooking method is a favorite of mine and I have read Mr. Hartchers and some other poster's methods (such as the stainless cake rack over a sheet of foil). The larger Q would solve the problem of building a rack for this since it already has a rack built in. As for size I guess I will just have to look at these to get an idea of how big they really are.

Marty
I should have asked how many people you were cooking for.
Forget the 320 it is just a little smaller than the Genisis and can cook for 10 - 12 with a bit of planning you can do 18 - 20 same as the Genisis.
As Davo said. I would recommend the Q220 36 - 40 hours cooking time from a 20 Lb gas cylinder. Portable can cook just about everything on it. You can cook direct (grill) and indirect (roast), you can cook bread and cakes in it.
The Q220 can cook for 6 - 8 generally or 14 - 16 with some planning.
The Q220 can cook a #40 (9 lb) Turkey.

Pound for Pound the Q220 has to be the best on the market and represents great value for money
I use my Q220 more than I use my Genisis. Clean-up is extremely quick.

Send me an email (my address is in my profile and I will send you a copy of the recipes I have developed for the Q220.

Regards

Thanks to you and Davo I am now considering the Q220. I read on Amazon.com that if there is a widespread regulator issue with this model, especially when you use the adapter hose for the 20 lb tank. Most reviews were very favorable but that one got me wondering. Is this really a "wide spread issue"? If so, is it limited to this model or all Qs?

I also see that you have to buy an $80 cart if you want it mounted, unlike the larger units. That puts the whole thing only about $50 or so shy the larger 320 which has several more bells and whistles - but, I don't think I really need those things. If the regulator problem is not really an issue to worry about I will be seriously looking at the 200 as it seems to be just the right size.

Thanks for the recipe offer, I will email you for them.

Well, I did it. I just ordered the Q-220. None of the stores nearby had any in stock so I relied on the internet to buy it and also some accessories. My last post asked about an alleged regulator problem but I figure this must be an uncommon thing as the vast number of reviews I read never mention it.

I really believe, after reading everything here I could find, as well as many reviews on other sites, that this model will fit my needs best. Not to mention saving several hundred dollars from my first choice. I have Mr. Hartcher's recipes for this grill as well so that should get me off to a good start right from the beginning.

I ordered the grill from my local Ace store since it was the same price as Amazon.com plus I had a $10 coupon from Ace to apply. Shipping to the local store was free and although I had to pay tax the total difference only came to about $12 over Amazon. I would much prefer dealing with locals whenever possible anyway.

However, the Q stand was something else. Amazon's price was $10 less, no tax and shipping right to my door was free. Since I ordered this from them I went ahead and ordered the Q 200 series cover as well since the hardware store only sold the little grill cover, not the long skirted one for use with the cart. So, I am hoping in a couple weeks or so everything will be here.

I found an old refrigerator rack that might serve me when I cook indirect using Mr. Hartcher's method of double foil and make shift rack over the grates. I don't know what kind of steel refrigerator racks are made from (if steel at all) but it sits up between 1/4 and 1/2 inch over my current grill's grates. The rack is 13"x16 1/2" so I don't even know if it will fit inside the Q220. It seems fairly sturdy but since it was made to work in a refrigerator it probably won't hold up for very long under intense heat.

Thanks for your help and I am sure I won't be disappointed with this selection. I'll post back in a couple weeks and let you all know what I think. Now, to try to find those skinny propane bottles just in case I want to take the grill on the road!! BTW, has anyone found a way to rig this thing up to accept the fatter, 16oz cans?

I also thought of something else I would like to ask. I plan on keeping the grill in the cart under my patio but when I am cooking I want to move it to a place further down the deck that is not covered. From the photos, I notice the cart only has two wheels. I know they call it a stationary cart for a reason but it seems like it would be hard to roll around since you would have to pick up one end. Has anyone put casters or something like that on the other end?

Back