Habanero Hot Sauce Recipes

Ben A Hillis

TVWBB Member
Hey guys,
I have habeneros and jalapeños ready to pull from my garden. Does anyone have any good hot sauce recipes out there they would like to share. I saw Stogie's smokey habenero BBQ sauce and that stuff looks pretty good, but what about regular hot sauces.
I'm open.
Thanks
Ben

I don't know if this is what you're looking for, but I found these from Dave DeWitt. Look these over and see if they have the consistency you are looking for:

Essential Habanero Hot Sauce

This is the latest recipe in Nancy's never ending quest to duplicate that wonderful Caribbean hot sauce that we love. Fresh, frozen, or pickled habaneros can all be used, but if using pickled chiles, there is no need to rinse them. Adjust the heat by adding fewer habaneros, not by increasing the carrots as this can alter the flavor. This version of the recipe is designed to be processed in a water bath.

Habanero sauce, pureed until smooth

* 1-1/2 cups chopped carrots
* 1 onion, chopped
* 1-1/2 cups white vinegar
* 1/4 cup lime juice
* 3 cloves garlic, minced
* 2 teaspoons salt
* 10 to 12 habanero chiles, seeds and stems removed, chopped

Combine all the ingredients, except for the habaneros, in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Boil for 10 minutes or until the carrots are soft.

Place all the ingredients in a blender or food processor and puree until smooth. Strain for a smoother sauce.

Pour in sterilized jars and process in a water bath as described above.

Yield: 2-1/2 cups

Heat Scale: Extremely Hot

And this:

Habanero Hot Sauce

To preserve the distinctive flavor of the habanero peppers, we don't cook them with the sauce but add them afterwards.

* 1 small onion, chopped
* 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
* 1/2 cup chopped carrots
* 1 cup water
* 10 habanero chiles, stems and seeds removed, minced
* 1/4 cup lime juice

In a pan, saute the onion in the oil until soft. Add the carrots and water. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer until the carrots are soft.

Add the chiles and lime juice to the carrot mixture. Place in a blender and puree until smooth.

Yield: 1 cup.

Heat Scale: Hot.

And lastly:

Belizean Habanero Hot Sauce

In this recipe I never cooked the habaneros in order to preserve their distinctive flavor, so it was a perfect choice for our readers’ first experiment with juicing chiles. After cooking and pureeing the sauce, stir in the habanero juice. The final consistency of the sauce was very smooth, very hot, and had a strong habanero flavor.

* 1 small onion, chopped
* 2 cloves garlic, chopped
* 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
* 1 cup chopped carrots
* 1/4 cup lime juice, fresh preferred
* 2 tablespoons distilled vinegar
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1/3 to 1/2 cup habanero juice

In a saucepan, saute the onion and garlic in the oil until soft. Add the carrots and 2 cups of water and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer until the carrots are soft.

Remove from the heat and transfer the mix to a blender or food processor. Add the lime juice, vinegar and salt, and puree until smooth. Add the habanero juice and mix well.

Store the hot sauce in a glass bottle.

Yield: 1-1/2 cups

Heat Scale: Extremely Hot

After Jane's this is going to look ridiculously simple ...

Habs (chopped, seeds and all)
Vinegar
Salt
Sugar
Garlic (to taste)
Onion Powder (to thicken)

I buzz em up with an immersion blender the salt/sweet/acid will preserve this for months at room tempersture (actually I still use on that's a few years old)

You'll note that there are no amounts given, I spend 15 minutes adjusting by taste (a really hot one seems to take longer
icon_wink.gif
)

This will get me a good start. I will try some over the weekend and see what happens. I probably will do a lot of this outside to keep mine and wife's sanity.
Thanks y'all
Ben

Back