need help my first time

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I am christening my new WSM with a brisket tomorrow. I have not ever used a smoker that you can fire up and leave alone.... always using a grill/smoker that takes constant tending. There are 2 suggested methods to firing up that I have noticed. The minion method has you filling the chamber with unlit, and spreading lit over the top. Then when temp is correct and stable, you put on the meat and let it go. The other method has you putting in lit charcoal first, then spreading unlit over it... waiting for it all to be lit. I am using Lump charcoal... and welcome any suggestions that you have.
Thanks

------------------
StuBQ
'because sauce counts'

stuart
I would use the first fire up that you mention it seem that you get a better burn with it have fun JOE

Stu
The minion method calls for kingsford or the like and would burn longer than lump will, but the idea is still the same. You will need to add unlit lump later in the cook and just add it on top of the lit lump in the ring, you will be using both methods during the cook.
At the startup I would use a small amount of lit lump on top because lump will lite faster.
Good Q'n
Jim

Hi,

Congrats on the new WSM, I'm sure you'll find lots of useful information here on the bulletin board and on the Web site.

I like to use the Minion Method for my longer cooks (8 hrs or longer) and the standard method (all coals pre-lit) for short cooks (under 8 hrs.) For a brisket you'll be well served by using the Minion Method.

Good luck,
Chris

I use lump in my WSM and consistently get 14 hr. burns using the Minion method. I usally do the brisket overnight, and generaly have a temp spike after 5/6 hrs of sleep. Maybe thats because lump burns hotter?
Dan
" of all the things I've ever lost. It's my mind that I miss the most".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back