Paint a chimney starter with high heat paint

Ryan P

I live in Florida and go through about 2 chimney starters a year due to rust. I was thinking about painting them with high temp paint to extend their life. Has anyone tried this? Is it worth the effort (effort is minimal)? Is this a health concern? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Welcome to the forum Ryan!
Glad you joined in.
I would not attempt painting them, instead, i would buy a WEBER charcoal chimney and keep in under cover when not in use.
I've been using the same Weber CC for well over 11 years with no rust and only a minor dent or two.
I do, however, have a off-name-brand CC that is indeed covered with rust that also has been out of the weather. And yes, I grille in all types of weather: Sun, rain, snow you name it... only no salt air up here
icon_biggrin.gif

So, I guess I'm saying: you get what you pay for.

Thanks. I am smoking today in one of Florida's afternoon rainstorms. Rain is a way of life here.

i assume its not a weber chimney. get a weber one. no paint that i know of will take the temp of the lighted coals in the chimney.

Find out what Klose uses on the outside of the fireboxes on his smokers. I'm certain that it's pricey.

If the salt spray is what's killing yours - find a local metal-fab place, and have them make one for you out of stainless?

Rain is a way of life here.

Ok, now the parallels are getting a little eerie.
icon_eek.gif

I concur with the others that the Weber Rapidfire will last much longer than other brands, although mine is only two years old and already has a significant amount of rust on the sides and the wire rack. However, it't still sound and perfectly functional; I expect it'll last at least another couple seasons.

In any case, I would avoid the hassle and expense of painting, perhaps keep it indoors when it's not in use, and just accept that a new $16 - $18 Weber starter every few years isn't a bad investment.

Cheers and welcome to the board!

Looks like this post was restarted from a previous posting but while were on the topic I agree that I doubt the paint would hold up. I think that the BBQ rustoleum is good up to 1200 degrees but I'm pretty sure it says not to use where directly exposed to flames. If your worried about rust you could bypass a chimney altogether and buy a weed burner for 15-20 dollars and just fire them up in the cooker. I haven't done this personally but people tend to speak highly of it.

My two cents on a really old thread...

Buy a weber chimney. I first started grilling about 5 or 6 years ago. I bought two of the cheaper off name brand ones. They rusted out the first year. I live in Oregon, so yeah... rain isn't a way of life. It IS life out here.
icon_smile.gif
Anyway.. the first two rusted out quick and one of them the handle actually caught fire rending it useless.

I bought a weber one, and only one and I still have it. I don't give it any special attention or care at all. It stays out all year every year, through the fall, winter and spring. I just used it yesterday and don't have any problems with it

I agree, buy the weber brand. My is never covered and it looks great.
You'll never be able to keep paint on one..
Check Costco if you have one.. They sell em at a good price..

Back