The Manhattan Project

Ron... L.

TVWBB Super Fan
I'm a bourbon guy.
Manhattans hold a particularly favored position on my list of desired cocktails, so when a buddy at work returned from an upscale DC bar raving about the barrel-aged manhattan he had been served it was time to try something new.

We got a small (2 liter) barrel online, put a mixture of Old Overholt Rye, Carpano Antica Vermouth, and angostura bitters into it and (more-or-less patiently) waited for two months. The resulting cocktail was easily the best manhattan I had ever tasted...and that is a reasonably large sample size.

The liter I took home lasted most of the weekend.

So I bought two 3 liter barrels and they threw in a free 1-liter barrel and round 2 started two months ago.

The 3-liter batch pictured below was made with Weller Bourbon, Carpano Antica Vermouth (2 parts to 1) and blood orange bitters. After two months of agonizing waiting and intermittent sampling, I have bottled the results.

The smaller barrel is Kennedy Manhattans and is very good, also. 15 year old El Dorado rum, Dolin Blanc vermouth, angostura bitters and a touch of maple syrup.

If you like manhattans, these things are awesome. Low and S L O W baby!

mp2.jpg

mp1.jpg

IMG_3100.JPG

My Dad has been a Manhattan drinker for most of his life.

He prefers to use good Rye, instead of Bourbon.

Last year, for a gift, we bought him a bottle of Sazerac Rye. He thought that it was some of the best stuff he ever had in a Manhattan.

So - Some tested and true results from another Manhattan afficianado = try the Sazerac stuff. (From New Orleans - The "Sazerac Coctail" is similar to a Manhattan and they're at least semi-famous for it.)

With Christmas about 2 months away, maybe I'll have to get my grubby paws on a barrel or two and set-up a batch for my Dad!

(Where'dja get the barrels, Ron?)

I got my barrels online at http://1000oaksbarrel.com/.

Their shop is about 3 miles from my house so I didn't have to wait for shipping. I've given barrels away for B-Day presents and people love them.

If you do it, I highly recommend the Carpano Antica vermouth. It's hard to find and pretty pricey (about $36/liter) but makes a great manhattan (aged or not).

Ron

9116 IBeam lane. Manassas
It's off Liberia over by eastern auto.

They don't have a real showroom or anything, but it's worth a visit because they'll work with you on what you want on the barrel. I've been dealing with Eric.

Not sure it will get you a price break, but tell him the Grand Dude sent you.

Have fun.

Ron

I just made a Manhattan with Old Overholt and I don't think I'm going back to Kentucky Straight Whisky. Much more subtle. I liked it better. Thanks for the rye suggestion.

Back