26.5" Kettle or Performer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin Walsh

TVWBB Fan
The consensus expectation on the price of the new 26.5" kettle seems to be that it will be about $300 which, coincidentally or not, is about what one would typically expect to pay for a new Performer.

I would be interested, then, in the community's feedback on which of the two models (if either) they would choose (or recommend) and why, given a "grill budget" of $300.

Once you have used a Performer it's hard to use any of your other grills. The One Touch ignition is a plus, and the table top space makes grilling easy.

I guess it depends on what your needs are, but for me I don't cook for large crowds often, so the Performer handles anything that we want to grill. Notwithstanding, I am sure that I'll buy a 26.5 kettle when they are available, but I can't think of any reason why I would need a grill that big. I just love Weber grills!

It all depends on how many people you usually grill for (and what you grill). If you're constantly cooking for more than 4 people, I'd say go for the 26 incher. If not, then go with the Performer, I love the gas igniter. The side table is really useful if you don't already have counter top space close to where you're locating the grill.

If your patient and keep an eye out on Craigslist, you can probably score a used Performer AND a 22.5" OTG or OTS for less than $300. A 2 kettle setup would give you greater flexibility IMO. You will have more grilling surface than a 26.5", for those times when you need it. And you don't end up wasting fuel on a big grill when all you're grilling is a steak (or a couple of burgers, or sausages).

JP

Gosh, I love my performer. It is so easy to get it lit after a twelve hour work day. Having he table top space is awesome.

I have to agree with J Pan, buy 2 used grills.

I have a 22" OTG and a Performer. With only 2 mouths to feed, I normally cook on my performer. However, with more people I sometimes have 2 grills going. If I had a bigger family I would buy the 26".

However, I do love the Performer for its workspace, pas igniter and its storage.

Performer.

If you want the extra space for occasional use get a second hand OTG (or silver) or borrow one for the occasion.

I scoffed at the gas ignition and didn't think I'd even buy a gas cylinder (the old ones in the Uk require a deposit type cylinder) but once you get used to it....
I use it to light a chimney for my WSM or for my BGE.

I have to 22's...really dont need the 27 but WANT it. I like to cook butts and brisket on my kettles, think the 27 would be awesome to use. The kettle will last a life time..so I think it is a good investment. Plus they may discontinue it if sales are not met...which is a possibility. Id hate to kick myself thinking..you should of got the 27 when it was available. I love my toys.

i have a 19 yr old kettle i was given that i was about to replace with performer when i read about the new 26. i just bought replacement parts for the old kettle and a side table to wait the 26.i dont feed an army but like to cook indirect and want the space.

Tim you said a mouthful! "I don't feed an army but like to cook indirect and want the space"
That fits a lot of us. If it were to just grill...perhaps there is not as much need for 26 inches...but if you want to cook indirect or have two or three levels of heat, 26 fits many of us just fine. Well said Tim.

Yes, I think the new 26 incher might be ideal for a larger indirect area, but not sooo huge as an RK (got one of those too). Hope its set up with the ash catcher.

Paul

I have used the 26" grill for years, having bought it way back in the 90"s. It is great for indirect cooking of two whole salmon filets, three chickens or two legs of lamb, all using the direct method.

I will buy a new one when they come available. Mine is getting pretty rickety.

I find that in most cases, the standard size 22.5inch kettle is enough for cooking for up to 8 people and lets face it, the 22.5 inch has been around almost since the dawn of time and many folks have cooked for many people in that time before the talk of a 26.5.

I bought the Performer in March of this year and also have an old OTS that has entertained at many bbqs but now the OTS is a standby for the larger cook and the Performer does most of the.........er...performing!?

Having that spare kettle is good for when it's needed.For just the quick steak or chops, I use my little Q120...quick & easy!

Apart from all the great things about the Performer that already have been praised upon, one of the best advantages is that due to being fixed to a trolley/cart, the kettle on the Performer sits up higher than a regular kettle so it a bit easier to work with and easier on the back...and the work table is a major asset.

Cheers & Beers

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back