Orange Creamsicle Cake

Jeff T Miller

TVWBB All-Star
We had a company picnic last weekend and someone brought in this cake. I want to tell it was awesome. I asked for the recipe and thought I would share it here. This should be a great summertime dessert. Reminds me of the orange popsicle with the vanilla ice cream in the middle.

Orange Creamsicle Cake

1 box Duncan Hines orange cake mix
1 small box orange Jell-O
1 cup hot water
1 cup cold water

Bake cake as directed in a 9x13 greased and floured pan. When done poke holes all over the cake with a fork. Cool the cake and pan on a wire rack. Dissolve jello in hot water for 2 minutes then add the cold water. Slowly pour the Jello over the cake and allow it to run into the holes. Refrigerate for 2 -3 hours.

Frosting

1 8 oz package of cream cheese
1 small box instant vanilla pudding
1 small box orange Jell-O ( dry )
1 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla
1 8 oz cool whip ( thawed )

In a large bowl beat cream cheese until creamy. Add dry Jell-O, dry pudding, milk and vanilla. Beat well. Fold in cool whip. Spread on cake and refrigerate.

Had to chuckle when I saw this...we've had this cake for yeeeeears...we call it a "Refrigerator Cake" in our family in PA...

We've used the orange cake mix variety but you can also use simple white cake mix and use all sorts of jello flavors...not sure the topping (note, I didn't say "icing") is the same...it's great because it isn't super sweet like regular cake icing...

It's the only cake I want made for my birthdays...it's super tasting and brings back great family memories...be careful though...it's a lighter cake and half a cake can go quickly!

I highly recommend it...

I'm 41 years old...more than your grandkids will love the cake
icon_smile.gif

By the way...it's called a "Refrigerator Cake" because it does need to be refrigerated...

I kind of forgot about this. I have had the recipe for a couple weeks now and still haven't made it yet.

I gave my sister in law a copy of the recipe and she made one and brought some of it over to share. She didn't use a fork on the cake so the jello didn't didn't go into the cake like it should. She just used the end of a wood spoon to make big holes in the cake. My wife makes a cake called a poke cake that you take a spoon and make the big holes and puts a carmel sauce poured over it. I think she thought it would work the same.

It was good none the less. It just wasn't the same consistancy.

Back