Best way to clean PCI on Q grills

marty ilacqua

I received my Q220 the other day and could not be happier with the ease of assembly, looks and heat I get out of this thing. I was suppose to have a cookout to try it out but things fell through so I only fired it up to see how hot it got and how quickly. It was near 100 degrees here in Texas so I'm sure that was a factor but the temp needle nearly went to the 600 degree mark in less than 10 minutes! Maybe that's normal but even my bigger Kenmore three burner never got that hot.

I am going to cook on it tonight for sure and have a couple questions about cleaning the PCI. First, the grates look like they are cast iron which require seasoning but they in fact are coated so no seasoning is necessary. In my research here and at other sites I am getting mixed instructions on the proper way to clean the grill.

At one place, a poster called Weber and the service rep said to do the following: Do not use cooking sprays as they contain water and could harm these grates (and I just bought two cans of Weber spray!!). Also, do not oil or season these grates at all, only oil the food. After taking off the food, turn up the grill to high and leave it that wait for 7 minutes to burn off the remains, then, let the grill cool. Next time before grilling, while the grill is still cool, scrape off the surface with a brass bristle brush.

I have never done it this way before but then again, I've never had PCI grates before. I have always sprayed or oiled the grates and I think several threads I've read at this forum recommend that. I used that Weber spray on my old grill the other night and it worked perfect with no flare-up and my food did not stick at all. I don't understand why Weber would make such a product and then tell you not to use it.

Also, when it comes to cleaning, I don't do a thing after removing the food. The next time around I simply turn it on high and brush off what remains, spray and put down the food. This is contrary to what Weber said above. So what method do you all use to clean these PCI grates?

On a related topic, how are meats treated that have been soaking in a glaze or marinade? It would seem to me that since you would not put oil on meat because it is already coated with the marinade, and if you do not put oil on the grates as recommended by Weber, how do you keep the meat from sticking? And with this heavy coating of glaze on the grill, would you not want to clean that off right away rather than let it sit until the next time?

Marty

Congratulations on the Q220. The 100 degree heat may have added some temperature to the final result. It is only about 45 degrees here at the moment and my Q220 will only get up to 575 degrees (don’t you just hate it when you cant bounce the temp gauge on the stop)

You are correct there are many different theories regarding cleaning and everyone swears by their own idea – why because they all work to varying degrees, My way is no better than anyone else’s but it works for me and I have looked at it from several different points of view.

I first looked at the PCI grill and the normal failures and deterioration that can occur which is corrosion. Next I looked at what the causes of the failure which is ingress of moisture, galvanic reaction between dissimilar metals and bacterial growth. Finally I looked at how this can occur. From there I developed a cleaning regime to minimize the failures. I know this sounds technical however it is merely a common sense approach put into a structured system.

I have modified the way I clean my grill over the years to the following

1 - Preheat on high for 10 minutes.
2 - Brush with a stiff bristled wire brush to remove any residual food and gunk
3 - Wipe with a paper towel moistened with some cooking oil. Do not spray with spray on oil as this tends to produce a burst of flames.
4 - Brush with a stiff bristled wire brush in-between grilling different meats, wipe with oil as required
5 - After completion of grilling, heat on high for 5 minutes, brush with stiff bristled wire brush to dislodge any residual food or gunk and turn off grill
6 - Wipe with a paper towel moistened with some cooking oil or spray with cooking oil while the grill is hot.
7 - Every couple of months or “on condition” soak the grill in hot water and a mild detergent in a suitable container (I use the laundry tub much to “Her Indoor’s” displeasure) for an hour and clean with a stiff bristled wire brush. (I generally do this clean in conjunction with an in-depth clean of the Q.)
8 - Dry with paper towel and spray with cooking oil
9 - Refit grill and preheat for 10 minutes
10 - Turn off and wipe with a paper towel moistened with some cooking oil or spray with cooking oil while the grill is hot.

If you are cooking indirectly using the Foil and Trivet method you still need to do steps 1, 2 & 3 prior to cooking and step 6 after cooking, (whilst you don’t have to brush after cooking indirectly I always do.)

Grilling marinated meats directly. You can grill marinated meat directly and clean up after as per the instructions listed above. I tend to use sugar and or honey if a lot of my marinades. In these cases I will grill indirect and finish off direct in some cases.

I hope that this is of some use to you

Regards

Back