Performance

James Trapp

TVWBB Fan
I use charcoal for weekend cooks but for the last few years I have been using an El Cheapo gasser on weeknights.

I would like to buy a quality replacement and have looked at many of the larger grills in the $500 range. I really do not need a large grill as I usually cook for myself or at most three people. This makes the Q grills appealling.

Are the Q grills as durable as there siblings? My father has had a Silver B for many years and it is still going strong.

Does the Q perform as well as the larger grills in terms of peak temperatures?

Are there any drawbacks to the Q that would make it a better decision to use the larger more expensive grills?

Another North Alabamian! I'm from north of Florence!

I can speak from the experience I've had with my Weber Q220. I can easily cook for the three of us who are at home on my Weber Q. I have cooked as many as 14 "slider" sized hamburgers on it, two pork tenderloins, three large NY Strips, a BUNCH of hot dogs and 5 or 6 chicken breasts.

The cast iron grates heat up and hold heat well and give terrific grill marks. It is miserly on fuel, and heats up within 10 minutes to 500 if you want to cook that hot.

Drawbacks? Size - if that is important in a grill. I have a Weber Genesis Silver B with cast iron grates and I use the Q probably 2 to 1 over the Genesis. I like the Genesis - a lot when I'm not cooking on charcoal - but I love the Q.

Check out the posts by Phil Hartcher on his cooks on a Weber Q. He has some of the most appealing and creative cooking ideas using the Q.

If you want something a little bigger than the 220, the 320 (is that the right model number for the one with the thermometer) is really appealing!

Just my personal opinion - worth what you paid for it and guaranteed for just as much.

Pat

the q220 is great grill. cooks like crazy. one thing nice is that its portable. nice for the beach, etc and for areas that ya can't use charcoal. no matter what, it will be a great addition.

What George and pat said and more. The Q220 is world class. I use mine mostly on week nights and have done for the last 5 years I am guessing that I have had over 500 cooks on it and it is still going strong.
Here is a photo of a couple of porterhouse steaks that I did on it on Tuesday Night. They were so tender you could cut them with a fork.

100_1461.jpg

Cheers

I ended up getting a 300. I may on occasion need the extra capacity and I do not need the portablity.

Is the griddle worth a count? Does it only cover half the grill?

The ones in Australia replace one side of the grill. I don't use a griddle I use a BBQ sheet if I need to use something. Easy to clean up and allows you to place it where ever you like. Still get great grill marks especiually on salmon. Available from Amazon Vic Cherikoff BBQ Grill Sheet

As for the full length grill cover I don't know as mine is always under cover. It is suposed to be all weather but I can't say from experience.

Regards

Phil

I seen another thread where it was suggested to season the porcelein coated grate. Is this true?

After my first cook I had a hard time cleaning the burnt grilling sauce off of the grates when compared to my old grill with el cheapo stainless grates.

James
I always recommend that you season the CI grills whether porcelain coated or not. It certainly doesn't hurt them and any weak porcelain covered areas will be protected.

Cheers

I gave the grate a good coat of crisco and everything comes off the grate better now.

What type of brush is best to use? I read somewhere that steel brushes are best for CI grates but I have been using a brass/copper brush because I did not want to risk damaging the coating.

I see James had a question on the weber griddle for the 300 and 320. I'm thinking of getting the griddle myself. Someone on the amazon reviews mention that he is using the griddle on one half where he puts his wood chips. Sounds like a clever idea.

I've used the griddle for about 8 months now on my 220. Good quality as all Weber products are. Works well, but with the smaller area for the griddle, I find the drippings can tend to build up so it does need to be cleaned every time. Also, I close the lid to maintain heat, especially in the winter and I find the splatter hits the cover, then when you open it, the grease drips off the cover, onto the ground. No big if really outdoors, but on a patio it can get unsightly. Had to water blast off. Overall good heavy unit that does what it says it is supposed to do. However, for steaks, I've gone back to the grill because of the extra room. For the griddle and the grill, completely agree, oil it before and after use and you will have an almost a non-stick surface. For a great brush, use the Grill Wizard, but it MUST be the one with the wooden handle, not the plastic one. FYI, this is my second Q, first one just wore out after 6 years! I go thorugh 2-3 7lb tanks a year and grill year round and I use this almost all time out of my many grills.

Back