My 2 favorite vinegar-based sauces (so far)

Rita Y

TVWBB Emerald Member
This sauce has a slightly higher proportion of tomato to vinegar than the other sauce below. This is my adaptation of one in Paul Kirk’s sauce book:

LEXINGTON-STYLE PIEDMONT BARBECUE SAUCE

Makes about 2 cups. “Most barbecue experts talk about Piedmont sauces always being mustard-based, as in the previous recipe. I have no problem with this, but I do remember reading (yes, I must confess that I do read cookbooks) in Jeanne Voltz’s cookbook, “Barbecued Ribs, Smoked Butts and Other Great Feeds,” a recipe for a Piedmont (Lexington-style) barbecue sauce that was vinegar-and-ketchup based. Here’s my version. This is a fun, easy barbecue sauce. It’s not too hot, but it is a little vinegary.” — Paul Kirk

1 1/2 cups (360 g) cider vinegar
1 cup (240 g) ketchup
1/4 cup (50 g) sugar
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon Country Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon table salt
3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1/8 teaspoon cayenne

1. Combine all of the ingredients in a large nonreactive saucepan and blend well.
2. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat, and simmer for 20–30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Let cool to room temperature and let stand at least 2 hours.
3. STRAIN sauce so it will pass through a squeeze bottle.
4. This sauce will keep for several weeks in an airtight jar in the refrigerator.

• How to Use It: This sauce is great on a pig sandwich, pulled pork on a bun, or on bread, topped with cole slaw—the signature dish of Carolina barbecue.

Adapted from “Paul Kirk’s Championship Barbecue Sauces,” © 1998, page 196; © 1998, The Harvard Common Press.

And here is the second of my two favorite tomato-vinegar sauces, slightly more vinegary:

CAROLINA SPICY VINEGAR SAUCE OR MOP

Makes 4 1/2 cups. Use as a table sauce or for mopping when barbecuing boneless pork shoulder.

4 cups apple cider vinegar
1 cup ketchup
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
3 tablespoons (packed) golden brown sugar
2 tablespoons table salt
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
2 teaspoons black pepper
1 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper (orig: 1 tblsp)

1. COMBINE ALL INGREDIENTS in a heavy large saucepan.
2. SIMMER over medium heat for 5 minutes.
3. REMOVE from heat, cover, and let stand for 2 hours before using.

From James Villas, Bon Appétit, July 2003, p. 78; http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/recipe_views/views/108296
In fairness to Villas, some of the recipe reviewers don’t seem to understand the concept of the vinegar sauce or this style of barbecue, but we think this sauce is really good. Haven't tried his pork. As far as I can tell, because of the ketchup, it’s classified as a Central Carolina Piedmont sauce rather than an Eastern Carolina sauce (where they don’t use any ketchup). Western Carolina seems to have lots of sweet ketchup sauces.

Rita

Rita, Thanks for posting these. Which one did you like better. The second looks mighty tasty too me.
icon_cool.gif

Bryan, it's almost a toss-up in which I prefer - depends on the whim of the moment. The Lexington is a little mellower than the Carolina Spicy. Some days I need "mellow."

I mixed the Lexington into a little leftover coleslaw today and it was really good on our pulled pork sandwiches. I think I'm going to try to incorporate the ingredients into my creamy coleslaw recipe (my German mother's) to try to cut back on the liquid a little. I always degorgé my cabbage first, but this time I just tossed in the sauce on top of the leftovers of the original recipe.

Rita

Miss Rita, I like that dijon mustard addition. That sounds very tasty. These sauces are heavier on the ketchup. In the past I enjoyed the softening of vinegar with some water. These are on my list to try. Thanks.

You're entirely welcome, Steve. I've already posted two more Dijon sauces separately for you.

In December I copied the sauce you posted then and it was in the group of sauces that I wanted to make yesterday but I ran out of time. I think I'll just make it tomorrow to use on the leftovers and will let you know.

Rita

Rita,

Would those be considered finishing sauces? They ARE thin and designed to be absorbed, right? Not a heavier glaze style sauce like your average bottle of sauce from the grocery store?

Rita,

Just wanted to say thanks for posting the Piedmont BBQ sauce. I too the vinegar down to 1 cup and upped the sugar to 1/2 cup and everybody loved it.

W, these would be table sauces.

Jared, I'm glad that you changed the proportions to suit your taste. I used this recipe the other day and felt like it needed the same adjustments like you did.

Do try Steve Petrone's sauces. They're very good too.

Rita

Here is my favorite vinegar sauce. It's from Dr BBQ's Big Time BBQ Cookbook. I've tried others, but I always come back to this one.

<LI>3/4 C Yellow Mustard
<LI>3/4 C Cider Vinegar
<LI>1/2 C Sugar
<LI>1 1/2 T Margarine (I use unsalted butter)
<LI>2 t salt
<LI>2 t Worcestershire sauce
<LI>1 1/4 t freshly ground black pepper
<LI>2 t Louisiana-style hot sauce, or more to taste

Combine all ingredients in saucepan, stirring to blend, and simmer overl low heat for 30 minutes.

Rita-yes to the dijon mustard addition. It is very good.

Question: the mustard did not seem to 'join the party'( the correct term emulsify is what it did not do), should I have wisked the ketchup and mustard together first?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Piedmont sauces always being mustard-based </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The author of this quote knows LITTLE to nothing about Piedmont, Lexington style BBQ sauce. It has always been Vinegar and Ketchup based. Maybe he got it confused with SC style Mustard sauce.

Rita, I added the mustard to to the mix and it did not seem to mix well with the rest of the ingredients. How do you add your ingredients?

Steve, sorry I missed your posts; I've only been into TVWB site for a few minutes recently.

I'm not sure which of the 2 recipes you're referring to, but the answer would be the same. I usually just vigorously whisk the ingredients together (using a whisk, not a spoon) as I'm heating them and have had no problems with them combining smoothly. You could use a stick blender to get them together; it would be quicker.

I hope this works for you. If not, let me know.

Rita

Back