First backyard comp in the books

Jim H.

TVWBB All-Star
I finally entered a backyard comp over the weekend and I'm glad I did. I made all the turn in times, and tried to follow my timelines I worked out in a couple of practice cooks at home. I was 12th in all three categories - chicken, ribs and beef, which wasn't last, so from that standpoint, my first comp was a success. Overall I was pleased with my cook, even starting out cooking @ 31° on Saturday morning. I learned a lot and didn't have any real oh crap moments to deal with, so my cook went very smoothly. The weather turned out sunny and calm which was great. My wife came out and helped me to stay on track and get my boxes together. I may have to let her help me in the future.
icon_wink.gif

I tried some different rubs, one I really liked on my beef entry, and one I used on my chicken and ribs that didn't turn out like I wanted as it was too salty to begin with. I mixed up my sauce from a couple of commercial sauces because I had heard others use a variation of these two sauces with good results. Next comp I enter I will use my own rub & sauce on turn-ins because I wasn't pleased with what I used this time.

Here are pics of my turn in boxes. I was very pleased with my chicken, as it came out just about perfect. Tender and just enough smoke on it, and it was perfectly cooked.
1029111419b.jpg

My ribs were a little overcooked because I waited too long to foil them. I was waiting on more pullback from the end of the bones to show and I knew I should have foiled them sooner. They were still good, with plenty of flavor and enough smoke to taste, but not overpower the ribs. Same with the sauce. I had the consistency pretty thin, but it coated the ribs just enough. I was rearranging the ribs in the box for fit and I wanted to show one rib from the front as I was using my phone camera which doesn't take very good pics. I cleaned up the sides so they weren't messy like the pic shows.
1029111351.jpg

For beef, I rubbed & smoked a tri-tip. It came out amazingly good - very tender and the rub I used added a nice flavor kick. The tri-tip was an easy beef entry since they weren't specific about what beef we could enter, and I was very pleased with the result. I sauced the top of the tri-tip before I sliced it just to add a layer of flavor. My wife put this box together and I wasn't happy with how it looked, but I still got good appearance scores. I'm not picking on her for the way this box looks, but I would have stacked the slices differently. It was close to turn in deadline, and I had to go with this.
1029111454a.jpg

I have been bitten by the comp bug, and I am looking foward to doing more in the spring time. Not a bad first comp using just an 18" WSM and an OTG.

Thanks for looking. Let me know what you think.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Jim, congrats on your 1st go round. The positives of your cook and the fact that you turned in all your boxes on time is great. It sounds from your narrative that the sauce you used, and didn't like, had not been used by you before. Most comp cooks will not try to use a new product in comp, but will try at home 1st. At least that way you will know what you are getting. Being a non-sanctioned, backyard event, I guess you can experiment all you want tho.
I am finishing my second comp season, having done one KCBS last year and 5 this year with a couple club warm ups in the early spring. Gettin bit by the comp bug is pretty easy. The best to you over the winter, don't stop practicing just cause it's cold. The fruits of your labor will be evident come comp time next spring.

Mark

That is some excellent looking product you've got there! Great shine on the chicken and ribs. I gotta believe you're very very close. The beef looks very moist and has good color.

I'm with Mark, keep practicing and get your routine down to where it's second nature. Comps are fun but they have a nasty habit of throwing curve balls.

Russ

Back