More Bacon Makin' w/photos

Richard Batey

TVWBB Fan
Josh, as I said in an earlier post (this thread is spread around on this forum, so I guess I'll pick it up here), you inspired me to make bacon. I followed your method, (Josh's earlier post) and recipe for the Maple and Garlic Cured and did two others - Sichuan Surprise and Chorizon. Yesterday I smoked the four slabs. We used the garlic cured version in a carbonara pasta last night. Excellent! This morning cooked some of the maple cured. Excellent! Haven't tried the other two flavors but do believe they will be keepers.

I've put photos and a description of the process here: MAKING BACON.

If you haven't made your own bacon, it's well worth the effort. Lots of fun and very tasty. Be the first one on your block to bring home a pork belly!

Richard

Richard,

Do me a favor.... fry up that other bacon and report back with recipes if it is good! That garlic bacon sure is some GREAT stuff. BLT's went to a whole new level with that stuff.

Report back ASAP!

Josh

Hey,

Nice photos... Why didn't I think of using a rib rack for bacon slabs?????????

Good stuff
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Josh

On the menu tonight is the "chorizon" with black beans, rice, salad. I'll let you know how this flavor tastes.

Perhaps the "Sichuan" bacon will be soon . . . in fried rice? What would you do with it?

Richard

Enjoyed the "Chorizon" for dinner tonight. We all thought it was very good. I tasted it before I cooked it and thought it tasted even better than the cooked bacon. This is my first time with bacon making and eating "uncooked" slab bacon, so I don't know if it is a good idea to eat the bacon like that. But I think if you sliced it very thin and served it with cheese, fruit, beverage of choice, it would be great uncooked - I just don't know if it would be hazardous. You can't go wrong with cooking it.

Here is the recipe I made up for "Chorizon:"

1/4 Cup Morton Tender Quik
3 TBS paprika
1 tsp red pepper flakes
2 tsp oregano
1 tsp zatar
pinch of saffron
2 tsp cumin, ground
2 tsp coriander, ground
3 big cloves of garlic, crushed
1 TBS dark brown sugar
1 tsp ground pepper
1/4 Cup red wine vinegar

Richard

Richard,

If you cooked the bacon to 150 in the smoker then it should be fine to eat like you described. How long did you cure this for? The vinegar didn't break down the meat too much did it?

Thanks for the recipe.. I look forward to the next one.

Yes, I smoked it to 150 degrees. Cured it for 6 days. This piece was about 2.3 lbs. The vinegar didn't seem to hurt the meat in any way.

Richard

Josh,

Sorry, I thought I had written about the "Sichuan" bacon (has Sichuan peppercorns as an ingredient). As you can imagine, the bacon was delicious. It smells great. Nice to use in flavoring collard greens, etc. I'll definitely make more bacon. Did I post the ingredients of the "Sichuan" bacon somewhere in these threads?

Richard

Richard,

You are such a tease.
icon_mad.gif
NO you did not post that recipe
icon_wink.gif
You said that you needed to make sure it tasted good first... so I'm intrigued!

Can't wait to try these out.

Josh

Here is the recipe for a Sichuan bacon. I called it that because of the peppercorns. I just made this up so perhaps you can improve on it. This was for a slab about 2.25 lbs.

1/4 Cup Morton Tender Quik
1 TBS crushed ginger, fresh
1 TBS crushed garlic, fresh
1 tsp onion powder
1 TBS hoisin sauce
1 TBS plum sauce
2 tsp mushroom soy sauce
1/2 tsp Chinese five spice
1 tsp Sichuan peppercorns, crushed
dash dried orange peel

Richard

Richard,

Those recipes sound pretty good. I'll have to give them a try on my next round of bacon cooking. I'll be making the garlic peppercorn recipe that I posted for sure, but other than that I'm not sure what kinds I'll attempt.

Josh

Back