SHRIMP ETOUFFE, based on Guidry's Reef in Lafayette LA

Keri C

TVWBB Wizard
One of my favorite etouffee recipes comes from Guidry's Reef in Lafayette LA.

SHRIMP ETOUFFE, Guidry's Reef in Lafayette LA

1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup oil
1/2 cup flour
1 large onion, chopped
2 ribs celery, chopped
1 bell pepper, chopped
1 qt. shrimp stock (or chicken stock)
Paprika, salt and pepper, to taste
2 ozs. pimentos
1 bunch onion tops, chopped
3 lbs. 31- to 35-count shrimp

First, you make a roux... melt butter in large pot, add oil, and stir in flour. Cook and stir over medium heat until the roux is about the color of peanut butter. DON'T LET IT BURN! Toss in veggies, and stir well into the roux for about 5 minutes. When vegetables are cooked, add 2 cups of the stock, seasonings, pimento and onion tops. Let cook for 10 minutes; add stock and continue to simmer if you want to thin it down some. When sauce thickness is to your liking, add shrimp and simmer for 5 minutes. Serve over hot rice with garlic bread and cole slaw.

Recipe originally from Chef Mike Chaisson, Guidry's Reef, Lafayette LA, and modified somewhat by Keri Cathey (only the part regarding creating the roux as part of the recipe as opposed to adding 1 cup of pre-made blonde roux.)

Note - I also add Cajun seasoning to taste, and Tabasco or other hot pepper sauce to heat it up. I also like to add a drained can of Rotel tomatoes and cut back on the stock a bit. OR skip the Tabasco and Rotel and add 1 tsp cayenne pepper, 1/2 tsp black pepper, and 1/4 tsp white pepper. Or use 'em all, depending on how much heat you like. - Keri C

Keri,

Thanks for posting this. Looks good!

I recently picked up some of Pennzey's Cajun spice mix which made a great addition to my etouffe. I like the "mild" version because then I can get the flavor balance/heat balance just right.

Tony

Tony....

Here are 2 Cajun spice recipes I like using. The first one is Emeril's Essence..very good stuff. The second I picked up on another board and I have been using it the most lately.

I guess I like making my own so I can control the freshness of the ingredients. I think(hope??) it is cheaper as well.

Enjoy!

Cajun Seasoning

2 1/2 tablespoons Paprika
2 tablespoons Garlic powder
2 tablespoons Salt
1 tablespoon Pepper
1 tablespoon Cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon Thyme, dried
1 tablespoon Oregano, dried
1 tablespoon Onion powder

Mix together.

Makes about 2/3 cup.

Couzan Billy's Cajun Dust

1/2 cup Paprika
6 tablespoon(s) Kosher (coarse) salt
1/4 cup Black pepper, coarsely ground
3 tablespoon(s) Basil, dried
3 tablespoon(s) Garlic powder
2 tablespoon(s) Onion powder
2 tablespoon(s) Oregano, dried
2 tablespoon(s) Cayenne pepper
2 tablespoon(s) White pepper
2 tablespoon(s) Thyme, dried

Mix and use for blackened dishes and any other dishes that call for Cajun seasoning.

Back