Grate types on Silver B

Clay Jackson

TVWBB Super Fan
I am getting ready to purchase a Silver B. I have seen talk of diffferent grate types. Can someone talk about the types, advantages or disadvantages (including upkeep if needed).

Never mind, found another thread with same question.

I would suggest purchasing a Silver B that has the PCI(Porcelain Cast Iron) grates. Home Depot sells them exclusively with them included. I purchased my Silver B a while back and when my standard grates started to show wear, I upgraded to the PCIs for about $60, Home Depot stocks them. My flavorizer bars were very rusty so I got the stainless steel flavorizer bars as well. Something to think about in a few years when you've got your use out of the standard flavorizer bars. As far as upkeep, there isn't much to worry about. I do a burnoff immediately after grilling and shut off the grill. When I use the grill on the next cook, I take a brass brush to the grates and everything comes off with ease. You'll love the PCIs, they sear very well!

Clay,

Definitely get the PCI grates. I upgraded to them about 1 1/2 years ago and wish I had purchased them in the beginning. They hold the heat so much better and really do a good jobof searing meats. If you get a chance to find some, lift them and you will see how much heavier they are. IMO, they are worth any extra dollars you have to pay.

Ray

Go for the PCI grates. Might as well get the stainless steel flavorizers as well. After about four years the original standard grates and flavorizers on my Silver were pretty much shot, so I replaced both. The PCI grates are much easier to clean and help to grill a mean steak!

Jim

PCI grates all the way. When i bought my Summit Gold D i never even put the stainless grates on it. Went right to HD and bought the PCI grates.
icon_biggrin.gif

PCI grates rule ! I see they're standard on the '07 Genesis E series according to Weber's site.

Paul

I'm getting ready to buy a grill for a housewarming gift for my kidlet and her new hubby. I'm still trying to decide which model.

So, the PCI's are even better than the S/S rods?

My old gasser grates were porcelain coated and the coating began to burn off after 2 or 3 years and I switched to S/S (the rods were not available then). Are the PCI grates more durable?

Rita, I would expect properly cared for pci grates to last years....I inherited a good gasser that had them and they were not well cared for by the previous owner or me=rust! If you care for it, go for it. If you want more durability w/o care...SS.

That makes sense, Steve. Just how much care do they need? Typically, the heat on a gasser is turned off immediately after a cook, without scrubbing the grates. The grates are only scrubbed with a brush after the 15-minute preheat on the next cook, when most of the crud has burned off.

Do they need more oil coating in between cooks?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rita Y:
That makes sense, Steve. Just how much care do they need? Typically, the heat on a gasser is turned off immediately after a cook, without scrubbing the grates. The grates are only scrubbed with a brush after the 15-minute preheat on the next cook, when most of the crud has burned off.

Do they need more oil coating in between cooks? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
The only care the PCI grates need is as Steve mentioned, don't chip them. They are very durable so the only way i could see them getting chipped is if you were to drop them or drop something on them. I scrape the heck out of mine sometimes and have never hurt them. I use a Weber brass brush to clean them after the preheat as you said in your post. That's all i ever do.
icon_smile.gif

It is recommended that you use a brass rather than SS brush. I got the long handle one Weber makes with the triangular brush head and it really does a great job. I brush the grates about midway through the pre-heat.

I really doubt if the PCI grates are more durable than SS, but they are quite durable and last a long time if not abused. As indicated, the only issue would be chiping and that can be easily avoided.

Paul

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rita Y:
So, the PCI's are even better than the S/S rods?
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Rita, Weber has 2 types of Stainless grates. The cheap SS tube ones (stainless hollow tube cut in half length wise) which came with my grill, and the soild ss rod grates, which are not cheap. Now if mine would have come with the later i would have used them.
icon_wink.gif

Rita,

I have had my PCI grates for 1 1/2 years and have had no problems at all. I usually brush them immediately after a cook (brass brush only) and then brush them again after the heat-up. I also lightly oil them with a paper towel dipped in peanut oil before cooking. I have had no problems at all with chipping. I only wish I had gotten them 5 years ago.

BTW, I'll be in your part of the country later today visiting daughters in Hochston and Flowery Branch, GA.

Happy New Yaer to all.

Ray

Bryan, Paul and Ray - good information! I'll get them a brass brush to go with the grill. I have the standard S/S grates and use the Grill Wizard to good effect. I really like that scrubber. I've been pleased with the standard S/S grates but I have nothing to compare them with.

I was thinking about getting the S/S solid rods on the grill for the kids but now I have 2 good choices - solid rods and PCI.

Have a good trip Ray. Don't you just love the name Flowery Branch? Only in Georgia!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bryan S:... Weber has 2 types of Stainless grates. The cheap SS tube ones (stainless hollow tube cut in half length wise) which came with my grill, and the soild ss rod grates, which are not cheap. Now if mine would have come with the later i would have used them.
icon_wink.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Bryan

Glad to hear you say you would have suck with the SS rods. I think I'm going for the 2007 Summit with 4 burners. It has 3/8th inch rods and I would hate the thought of an immediate replacement with PCI grates knowing how expensive the rods are. Its tempting to go to the Genesis E 310 with standard PCI grates, but I'm going with the Summit.

Paul

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Have a good trip Ray. Don't you just love the name Flowery Branch? Only in Georgia! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yeah Rite - a beautiful name!

Last night I told my daughter that there were now Trader Joe's in ATL area. She has been in their stores on the west coast but did not know there were any in ATL. We are going to one today. Probably the one in Norcross.

Take care Rita,

Ray

Back