Mojo

K Kruger

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Mojo is used extensively in Cuban cuisine. Whole pigs, chickens, and various cuts of pork are marinated in it before grilling or roasting. Pork butt is often boiled (to death!) in it too. When serving, additional mojo is placed on the table for everyone to sprinkle on as and if they wish. You can buy it bottled but fresh is easy to make and to me, tastes much better.

Sour oranges are often available nearly year round in Hispanic markets (they're used in Mexican, South and Central American cuisines as well). Large chain supermarkets often have them too but look near the lemons or in the 'specialty' produce section, not near the sweet oranges. I recommend them if you can find them but a variation using sweet orange, lime, and lemon juices is noted below.

Mojo With Oil (for chicken or lean pork)

3 heads garlic, peeled, separated into cloves
2 tsp salt
1 tsp black peppercorns
1/2 tsp whole cumin (or use ground)
1-1/2 cups sour orange juice (preferable, or substitute a mix of 1 cup fresh orange juice with 1/2 cup each fresh lemon and lime juice)
1 large onion, minced
2 tsp dried oregano
1 cup extra-virgin olive oil

Toast the peppercorns and whole cumin in a hot dry skillet till fragrant. Mash garlic, salt, cumin, and peppercorns into a paste, using a mortar and pestle. Stir in sour orange juice, onion, and oregano. Let sit at room temperature for 30 minutes or longer.

In a saucepan, heat olive oil to medium hot (approximately 180 degrees F) and remove from heat. Whisk in the garlic-orange juice mixture until well blended.

Mojo Without Oil (for whole pig or fatty pork cuts)

5 heads garlic, peeled, separated into cloves
4 tsp salt
2 tsp black peppercorns
1 tsp whole cumin (or use ground)
1 quart sour orange juice (preferable, or the equivalent, see above recipe)
1-1/2 Tblsp dried oregano

Toast the peppercorns and whole cumin in a hot dry skillet till fragrant. Mash garlic, salt, cumin, and peppercorns into a paste in batches, using a mortar and pestle. Stir in sour orange juice and oregano. Let sit at room temperature for 30 minutes or longer. Pour on your pig, or chill for later use.

Thanks for the recipe. I love to use Mojo for Cuban sandwiches. A couple of days ago I made them for the folks in my office. After much trepidation they tried the store bought Mojo I had brought in. Can't wait to try some fresh made.

This one's been around for a while, but I just tried it yesterday. It is very good, so I wanted to put in a plug. Try it!

In case Kevin notices that this thread is back again, I thought I would add a question to it. When I use store-bought Mojo, I typically add Sambal Oelek or Chili-Garlic Paste to it for a little heat. Any suggestions for a more authentic way to spice up the homemade version?

Cuban cuisine isn't spicy, so no 'authentic' way to do it in this regard, however similar sour orange-based mixtures are used in a number of cuisines that can be hotter/spicier. (And of course, you can simply make it hotter based on your own tastes, not a specific cuisine.)

Probably my favorite addition, chile-wise, to this is reconstituted aji amarillos. (Toast 1, 2 or 3 ajis then put in a bowl, cover with boiling water, keep submerged; remove when fully hydrated. Drain the peppers then purée with a little of the o.j. and a touch of oil (no matter which version you're making) till quite smooth. Force through a sieve into a small bowl; add to the mojo, stirring well to blend.

(Use one or two guajillos if aji amarillos are not at hand.)

Thanks Kevin! I never considered that Cuban food wouldn't be spicy. I'll have to see if I can find those peppers locally, or I guess keep adding Sambal or cayenne. All of the Mojo posts in the photo gallery really have me thinking about making your Mojo rather than just buying. Thanks again!

I used store bought mojo, and I couldn't really taste it. The chicken I made with it was tender and juicy, but had no character.

I marinated it for 15+ hours, How much flavor does Mojo add the food?

Thanks....

Jay

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JHunter:
I used store bought mojo, and I couldn't really taste it. The chicken I made with it was tender and juicy, but had no character.

I marinated it for 15+ hours, How much flavor does Mojo add the food?

Thanks....

Jay </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Completely agree. I used store bought on a whole chicken and then cooked on the rotisserie and was lacking flavor. Marinated for 10hrs.

Prep the meat for marinating first by using a Jaccard, thin-bladed knife tip, or fork. Baste often.

I've used the store bought and noticed flavor. But I augment it. I typically use the whole bottle or enough to completely submerge the items. I also add zest, juice, and rind from a lemon, lime, orange (one or combination depending on what's on hand) as well as a good dose of crushed garlic.

Noticeable flavor imparted after 24 hours in the fridge.

Wish I could find sour orange local
icon_frown.gif

You should be able to. Hit either the higher end markets or those that cater to Hispanics. They will usually be labeled 'Seville' oranges (excellent for marmalade, btw) and will be with the lemons and limes, not the sweet oranges.

Yeah been looking for Sevilles. Probably have to run into Philly to find them I suppose. Haven't found them in the "usual" places near me.

I bought a dozen sevilles yesterday and after squeezing had 2.5 cups of juice. Making chicken and pork for the game and it tastes great. Marinated for about 15 hours.

Back