TBS

JohnE

I have been using my WSM for over a month now and I love it. The operating tips and cooking topics that Chris put together on this site is unbelievable.

How do I get the so much talked about Thin Blue smoke. I usually put in between 3-5 dry chunks of hickory or mesquite.

I just never get the TBS.

You could pre-burn the smokewood in the chimney while lighting your charcoal. Too much is sometimes made of the supposedly inferior white smoke vs. the superior blue smoke. As long as the wood is not just smoldering in a state of incomplete combustion, I wouldn't be overly concerned. (Note that many here like to bury wood chunks among the unlit charcoal for Minion Method cooks, to be ignited later as the fire progresses through the bed.)

I think its just a matter of the right temp and not over doing it with the smoke wood. I notice that when I toss in my smoke wood and am a little to liberal I get the heavy white smoke. But if I back off, thats when I see the thin blue smoke. I think maybe pre-heating the smokewood works, I usually put mine out further from the epicenter and that seems to work.

Wecome JohnE
icon_smile.gif
...for me the thin blue smoke comes after the first hour or so of cooking when everything kinda settles in
icon_wink.gif

Back