WSM!

Jason Robinson

I just assembled my new wsm it looks great and I cannot wait to fire her up! I was on another website and saw some builders using insulation for there cookers/smokers. They used woodstove door gaskets and I was wondering if anyone had used these on their wsm or if they would work? Thought/opinions..Thanks

No need for any gasket material. Unless your new WSM came out of round on one of the three sections, or the door is bent, no need for it. It really is no big deal to see small puffs of smoke coming out on occasion. This will lesson with usage/build-up.
No need to season it either, just go out and fire her up and cook away.
If you close down all the vents, the WSM fire should go out and cold in about 45 minutes to an hour.

Jason,

I had the same thought. One of my WSM's is out of round and leaks pretty good. I've learned to compensate for it but would like it to be tighter.

My concern with those gaskets is that they are made of fiberglass, and i didn't want it near my food.

**Edit**
Gasket Link

Kev

I would definitely wait until you confirm whether or not your wsm needs a gasket before I'd put one on. The most likely place is the access door, but that can usually be bent (gently) back into shape.

Bob has the test - when you shut all the vents, the fire should go out pretty quickly. Early on, my door was so loose, that even with all vents closed, the fire would not go out - the charcoal burned all the way down. Now my fire goes out in about an hour, however, still be careful, those coals can start right back up if they're still going even a little bit. All they need is air.

Even with the vents closed on my WSM after the second cook, a few coals remained hot - to the point where they burned my hands upon emptying the ashes into the trash - 24 hours later.

As the WSM becomes more broken in and used, "creasote" will build-up along all of the seams to seal the unit. No worry for me.

Not creosote, really-- just grease. If we were generating creosote, and that much, we'd be making some pretty inedible barbecue, too.

I noticed yesterday that my wsm was out of round and puffs of smoke would come out of the lid. Rotating the lid helps sligthly. I think I may have put it out of round when I stabalized the lid to drill a hole for a thermometer. Who knows. But it is slightly out of round. On my most recent cook of this weekened of 1 7 lb butt, I used 1 1/2 half charcoal rings of briquettes. The weather was about 35-42 degrees. That's a heck of a lot of charcoal. I assume in part because the lid was out of round. But I can't be sure. ANy thoughts?

Back